Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your public/private pool safe to swim in? Click here for a way to find out!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM
  • 17 Replies

I just watched on our local channel about the CDC warning about the practices moreso, of public pools and the fact that many do not maintain proper levels in the pool to keep it a safe swimming area. They said that 1 in 5 people outwardly admit to peeing in the public pools (not lakes or rivers, but pools). YUCK! I admit, I will pee in a lake or river, but I will not pee in the pool. I'll get out and go to the bathroom, or wait until (not while preggies) we are done and it's time to go.

BUT, many pools do not maintain proper levels of chemicals and chlorine in the pools to keep bacteria and ph levels safe for the public. Many pools are only tested one time the whole year, and some pools are never tested.

I will be putting a link in here, you'll have to copy and paste, that takes you to a site that will send you free testing kits. My suggestion is BEFORE you pay, ask to go out to the pool and test the water before swimming. It levels are unsafe, Fox (tv station) suggests asking one of the pool workers about the levels and if they cannot direct you to someone who does know, then go to the city about it.

I honestly don't worry about back yard pools personally.... not unless your kids are constantly bringing over friends. But, when my hubby and I buy a pool (setup with pump and all) I will be using baquecil (sp). No chlorine for us... my hair is brittle enough! lol. But, these test strips can be used in your own pool or at the public pool and the public pool should never deny you. You are not adding anything to the pool, you are dipping a strip in and reading it!

http://healthypools.org/freeteststrips/

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM

ew! we go to a pool on post (military housing woo!)  I know they check the levels every hour..and dump in more chemicals as needed.  so I hope its alrite lol  i dont pee in the pool..but im not sure about my 3 year...who sometimes forgets to tell me she has to potty when shes having fun

college.mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM

We have a backyard pool and we use chemicals and test it daily, its just an above ground pool, but I dont want to take any chances.

Gal51
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM

We have chemical sensitivities to chlorine ... so we don't swim in public pools.

kavp84
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM

All I can think about is that new Adam Sandler movie where the guys are in the pool and they pee and the water around them turns blue... and the kids are all "AHHHHHH" and running away.

^^^ Total run on sentence.

peachwine
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I always make sure the water is safe for the kids to swim in our pool. They dont swim at the ymca, or anywhere else unless its at their relatives homes.  They are just as particular about the water as I am.  As far as little kids peeing in the pool, my girls know better and they will run in the house to go...leaving water and grass on the carpet. LOL My toddler has his own pool that gets refilled every few days-

ForeverInLove
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Quoting kavp84:

All I can think about is that new Adam Sandler movie where the guys are in the pool and they pee and the water around them turns blue... and the kids are all "AHHHHHH" and running away.

^^^ Total run on sentence.

LMAO!

I forget where I learned it though, there is not chemical that really does that though. At least not one that is safe for humans to be in. I don't remember if myth busters brought it up, or if ws the discovery channel or some channel like that. i don't know. I just know it is a rumor, lol.

to add, I just got the Parents mag in the mail (thank you free subscript!), it talks about a five yr old who often pees in the pool because he doesn't tell mom he has to go until it's too late. they said it's normal because of childrens behaviours to forget that and that you should just encourage your child to go pee before hand, and then go pee at least every two hours while swimming. I would like to think for parents who reapply sunblock, that when you have them come out for the reapplication, it would be a good time to tell them to go in and go potty.

LiesLiesLies
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I don't swim in public pools. Yuck.

PatriciaofMN
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Me neither. 

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I don't swim in public pools. Yuck.

mommam58122
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM

well i never thought about it i was on a swim team in my home town growing up but they check then chlorene levels like every hour and stuff liek that i know that because my sister worked there as a lifeguard and i got to be in the office and they had notes up where the lifeguards had to sign off every hour of who checked the levels and what the levels were

ceciliam
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM

We have an in ground fiberglass pool that runs on a salt system. I am very diligent in making sure that my pools water balance is correct. I check levels ever other day.

I have also taught my son that you never pee in the pool or you don't get to use it.

You can buy the test strips at any local pool store.

The Best Is Yet To Be...BraySam Lane

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)