Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your children eat sweets and candy?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM
  • 25 Replies

I know a lot of parents that their children are allowed no sweets or candy and all. Do you let your children and how much if you do?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Honeybun09
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Rarely ever. She's only 15 months though.

I tried to give her some birthday cake yesterday for her cousin's birthday party but she spit it out and gagged a few times LOL. They asked if she could have a popsicle and I said no.

She has a few bites of my ice cream whenever I have some, cake at birthday parties if she likes it, and that's about it. She had a bite of chocolate at Easter and a bite of chocolate on Valentine's Day.

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

kriss1023
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM

mine are 11 and 12. I do let them have it. But I have to watch it closely. SS would have it all gone in a blink.

KaleaWXT
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I love candy and sweets!  I share too!

Beatlemama
by Julie on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM

My son's 2 and he has had some sweets.  He has had cake at both of his birthday parties and at friends and family birthdays.  He gets ice cream sometimes when he visits his grandmother (we don't keep it in the house). 

Occasionally, I will make brownies and let him have one.  He actually likes helping me stir the batter more than he likes eating the brownie.

I knew a girl when I was growing up whose mother didn't let her have any sugar.  By 3rd grade, she was sneaking it and hoarding it under her bed.

I think moderation is the key.

mrs.novoa09
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:07 AM
my son is 17 months he has sweets only at parties never his own plate no candy he's into Bolis slushy ice with juice he's teethin right now he loves it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Now it's up to her if she wants sweets

stressed1172
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Yes I let her have some sweets and some candy but I don't feel as though she eats as much as we did when we were growing up or as much as many children now days eat. She doens't get a whole basket full of Easter candy cause my husband is Jewish and doesn't believe in celebrating Easter and besides it's not good for her. I usually have her nana and whoever else wants to give her something give her something she needs. She also doesn't go out trick or treating at Halloween cause we don't believe in celebrating that either. Not because of  his religion but because of both of us agree that Halloween is not a good thing. It is esentially the devils holy day. It was started over in foreign countires they carved faces in  pumpkins to keep away the evil spirits which we believe the Blood of Jesus keeps away anyway. Then it was called All  Saints Day and was a day to celebrate the dead which we don't agree wtih either. Now it has become a Satanic holiday. Satanists use halloween as an oppurtunity to snatch children and cut off body parts to sacrafice them to Satan. In case you don't think this is happening here in America let me assure you that it is. Also people put poison in the candy etc. There are some really sick people in the world today. When I was young I heard about a girl that a lady somehow put a razer blade into and apple without it being seen and the girl figured, it's an apple it can't be harmful like the candy so she bit into it and got her whole mouth all cut up. This lady obviously had mental problems of some kind but that's not really my point. Anyway, she doesn't celebrate that holiday so she doesn't get all that candy but she does go to a Halloween alternative that a church has and gets some candy there so she's not totally depribed. I just don't want her to eat too much of it. It's not good for her heath wise and for her still developing teeth either. I want her to learn to eat healthier foods now while she's young so she doesn't wind up like me waking up one day and saying, Gee you know I'm going to be 40 soon I guess I'd better start taking care of my health and body better. If she learns to like healthy foods now she'll like them all her life and eat better and be much healthier and avoid many health issues we adults always seem to have because we don't listen to our bodies.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:32 AM

My kids were 5 before they ever had candy. But they grew up eating candy and sweets. They're still alive. 

kdgord
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Mine get candy and sweets. We make sure they don't get too much but don't usually need to worry about it as they only eat a tiny bit at a time on their own anyways. They are ages 3 and 5. We let them have a shelf in our pantry and it is full of cereal, crackers, fruit snacks, and that kind of stuff plus candy. They almost always pick out the cereal or crackers and then the fruit snacks and lastly the candy to snack on. They both still have over half of the candy that was in their Easter baskets and we didn't even put much in them this year because it was the same way last year.

Jessymessy
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:39 AM

yes, i let her eat anything she wants. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G because she has a problem that prevents her from eating most foods. People say: a kid will eat something they don't like before they let themselves starve, this is not the case for my daughter. she really would rather starve. she does not like very many sweets anyway. there are very few sweets she will even put in her mouth, so i let her eat them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)