Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is yelling or cursing at your child a form of abuse(Spin off of Have you ever spanked your child?)

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 24 Replies

Do you think that yelling or cursing at your child is abuse? Does it only become abuse if you lay your hands on them in anger?

by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 10:52 AM

It is proven...their is something called verbal abuse that can emotional devistate anyone.

LyTe684
by Tasha on Jun. 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM
No. Now if that yelling consists of name calling and degrading them, then yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keigha.Mak
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I have snapped at my son a time or two, but I try not to.

However, I have NEVER cursed at my child. That IS verbal abuse, it is wrong.

eeyorerdl
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Coming from a mother who is known for her yelling...I have to say, yes, it's a form of abuse.  Mainly b/c when yelling comes from anger, it is directed towards the child.  I am 30 yrs old and to this day, in a way I am still afraid of my mother.  Along with the yelling, there was physical anger, as well.  I, and my brothers, got spanked with whatever was handy at that moment.  I'm talkin' wooden spoons, rubber water flip-flops, belts, etc.

The red swelling went down and the physical pain stopped, but I still feel the sting when I thing about the stupid shit we got "in trouble" and spanked for...

I haven't spanked my dd, but I have popped her on the butt (with my hand...) and it's more of a scare factor than anything.  As far as yelling, I catch myself occasionally getting louder, and I take a breather before I continue with my discipline...No, I don't beat my child.  I was whooped as a child and don't want my dd subjected to that...

bakebiscotti
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Sometimes we all lose control and say things we don't mean.  Sometimes we yell.  I don't think there is a parent who hasn't said something they regret.  If it is the rule and not the exception then yes, I think it's abuse

Brandyh
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM

:(

Quoting eeyorerdl:

Coming from a mother who is known for her yelling...I have to say, yes, it's a form of abuse.  Mainly b/c when yelling comes from anger, it is directed towards the child.  I am 30 yrs old and to this day, in a way I am still afraid of my mother.  Along with the yelling, there was physical anger, as well.  I, and my brothers, got spanked with whatever was handy at that moment.  I'm talkin' wooden spoons, rubber water flip-flops, belts, etc.

The red swelling went down and the physical pain stopped, but I still feel the sting when I thing about the stupid shit we got "in trouble" and spanked for...

I haven't spanked my dd, but I have popped her on the butt (with my hand...) and it's more of a scare factor than anything.  As far as yelling, I catch myself occasionally getting louder, and I take a breather before I continue with my discipline...No, I don't beat my child.  I was whooped as a child and don't want my dd subjected to that...

koolmom343
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I have yelled at both my boys at certain times, but never cursed and called them any thing but their names.

Verbal Abuse is almost as bad as physical  abuse, it stays with a person for life.

Teeshann
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM

there is physical and verbal abuse. i think swearing at children is abusive.

Teeshann
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM

my dad used to yell a lot too and i remember being terrified. he barely ever spanked us but when he yelled we'd hide and i remember being so scared.

i hate to admit i've inherited that one from him. i lose my temper. i know i yell more than i spank. and i HATE it. i'm trying really hard to overcome the yelling cuz i don't want my kids to be scared of me the way i was scared of my dad. i used to think i didn't have a temper till i had kids.

Quoting eeyorerdl:

Brianne036
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM
I think yelling and cursing at your child is much more abusive than controled consitiant spankings.

As an adult I'd much rather a sucker punch than being yelled at or insulted or degraded by a loved one(I sadly speak from expirience)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)