Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the things you learned from your parents that guided you in life?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

What are the valuable lessons you learned from your parents that guided you in life and will try to instill as well to your children?

If you have had a bad childhood, what are the things that you would be doing diffrently for your children?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3jam
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:56 AM
Learned from mom not to trust anyone more than they have earned.

By watching her in shitty relationships, I learned to never tolerate abuse (verbal, physical, emotional, etc). I'm worth more than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetTea98
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:00 AM
My parents taught me a life without God is no life at all...found out the hard way how right they were! I'm teaching my kids the same...
happymom80
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM
My mother always taught me to fight for everything I want and never give up if I fall get back up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amber7277
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I think the most important thing my parents taught me was that no matter what my siblings will be there for me long after my friends will. And man were they ever right. So being a mother of 4 children, I definitely try to make sure they understand that they will be here for each other no matter what. Friends are here for a minute your brothers and sisters are here for life. That is exactly the way my parents stated it to me, and that is how I state it to my kids:)

tatar
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM

so true! I love your last statement!

Quoting momof3jam:

Learned from mom not to trust anyone more than they have earned.

By watching her in shitty relationships, I learned to never tolerate abuse (verbal, physical, emotional, etc). I'm worth more than that.

tatar
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM

this is one of the things my mother taught  me too and I am trying to pass this same faith with my son.

Quoting SweetTea98:

My parents taught me a life without God is no life at all...found out the hard way how right they were! I'm teaching my kids the same...

4kidz916
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM

They taught us a strong work ethic, not to live above our means, and to trust God to get us through the hard times.

tatar
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:11 AM

awwww...this is something that my mother taught as well. to love one another. because family should  always there to help one another no matter what...

Quoting Amber7277:

I think the most important thing my parents taught me was that no matter what my siblings will be there for me long after my friends will. And man were they ever right. So being a mother of 4 children, I definitely try to make sure they understand that they will be here for each other no matter what. Friends are here for a minute your brothers and sisters are here for life. That is exactly the way my parents stated it to me, and that is how I state it to my kids:)

tatar
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM

an important value to teach our children. thanks for sharing!

Quoting 4kidz916:

They taught us a strong work ethic, not to live above our means, and to trust God to get us through the hard times.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Never take no for an answer. If you want it bad enough, you can have it, you just have to work hard to get it. 

Most things in life are not to be taken seriously. Always ask 'will this be important in one year'. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)