• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would love to know more about Oklahoma

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM
  • 28 Replies

Planning to relocate. Give me tips, warnings, advice to the best, safest place  to move in oklahama. Is there a library there? How's the school system? The teachers? Places to avoid? Tornadoes?  What are the fun things to do there? Thanks in advance

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CODYSMOM_00
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM

BUMP!

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:22 AM

RUN!!!!

I lived near Lawton... had to leave state to get to a store to buy a computer, carried a weapon in my car because of the drunks during the day, and the weather was horrible... I had to replace my wind shield twice because of hail and my Jetta has some wicked damage...

(Don't mind me, I hated Oklahoma, I am pretty sure there may be some good places, but I never found them.. I was also told twice to go back to my own country... blah!)

tatar
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Oh my! I have to mention this to hubby. How long have you lived there? Are the crime rates terrible?

Quoting Kaelansmom:

RUN!!!!

I lived near Lawton... had to leave state to get to a store to buy a computer, carried a weapon in my car because of the drunks during the day, and the weather was horrible... I had to replace my wind shield twice because of hail and my Jetta has some wicked damage...

(Don't mind me, I hated Oklahoma, I am pretty sure there may be some good places, but I never found them.. I was also told twice to go back to my own country... blah!)

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:29 AM

We moved out of there last year... I left for a week to go get my pup from my mum.. within that week, there was three shootings, all outside fo the post gate... DH almost got shot, and our car was vandalized out side the wal mart.. (luckily, the drunk who did it didn't get far wiht my radio!)

That was Lawton.. near Ft Sill... I was up in OK city as well for a bit, with DS and that was scary.. I would rather walk alone in NYC by myself at night, then go back there.. but, like I said, I hated it, never found a reason to like ti and was relieved to leave.. I am also a Yankee..that could have been part of the problem.

Quoting tatar:

Oh my! I have to mention this to hubby. How long have you lived there? Are the crime rates terrible?

Quoting Kaelansmom:

RUN!!!!

Lynny03
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I lived in Lawton.  I didn't think that it was too bad, but it was a long time ago when I lived there.  I know someone who owns a car dealership there that gives us great interest rates so I still go there to get cars.  I can tell you that it is VERY windy.  I literally had by brand new car for 1 hour and stopped to get something to eat in Oklahoma City and the wind kicked up and caused a very big truck door to get slammed into the side of my car.  Left a big dent considering.  The weather isn't great.  I have been in 2 tornadoes in my life and one was there (the other was in Kansas)

tatar
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:31 AM

thanks! this is something that I needed to know. I have to tell this to hubby before he decides to take the job there.

Quoting Kaelansmom:

We moved out of there last year... I left for a week to go get my pup from my mum.. within that week, there was three shootings, all outside fo the post gate... DH almost got shot, and our car was vandalized out side the wal mart.. (luckily, the drunk who did it didn't get far wiht my radio!)

That was Lawton.. near Ft Sill... I was up in OK city as well for a bit, with DS and that was scary.. I would rather walk alone in NYC by myself at night, then go back there.. but, like I said, I hated it, never found a reason to like ti and was relieved to leave.. I am also a Yankee..that could have been part of the problem.

Quoting tatar:

Quoting Kaelansmom:

RUN!!!!

skinsfan26
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Its not all bad living here. I live in North Central OK now. lived in western ok and near tulsa. I love living here. only spring time is the tornado season and they give you much warning when one could happen.

tericared
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:37 AM
HisMommaNikki
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM

i lived in lawton, and other than people trying to get in your business i didnt think it was too bad at all! The college (cameron) is actaully a pretty good college, public school systems i'm not sure. My niece is in 6th grade up there and she does very well. Depends on what part of lawton you're in as well...Either go FAR west or FAR east, I def would not be in centeralized lawton (it isnt that big, but...) I lived close to 67th W. and it was really good. Although, the job market isnt the greatest, but i KNOW Assurant Solutions in lawton is always hiring. and they are a great company to work for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)