• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused about switching to solids PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM
  • 10 Replies

My DD is about 5 months now and her doc wants her to start eating solids. She told me to start infant rice cereal, and once she gets used to that, introduce baby food. I heard you had to start with fruits, then do veggies. I have been feeding DD some inf rice cereal once in the morning and then once at night before bed. The rest of the feedings are just formula. I dont know when to start feeding her baby food and what to start with. And how often do I feed her? And do I give her formula with it? Before or after? I didn't really get to ask the doc because she is always rushing around and I always forget to ask the most important questions. I just wanna know how yall introduced your baby to solids. What baby food did you start with? How often did you feed her/him? How long did you feed cereal until you switched to baby food? When did you start feeding your baby finger foods? I am just really curious about the whole food transition...

I<3myLexi :)

baby girl

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:52 AM

With my first she started with a little ceral in her bottle at about 4 months, and then baby food veggies about 6 months....She never ate a lot at one time...?and dont try a bunch of stuff, Stick to one thing for awhile to make sure little one is not allergic...My 2nd born was breast fed only until she was about 7 months, then mashed up what ever I was having that was soft, she would not touch a bottle or baby food of any kind,,,

msdlm937
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:56 AM

It's been 8 years since I've had an infant, but I thought it was veggies, then fruits? But I do agree with Teri, stick with one thing at a time. That way if she is allergic, you will know what she is allergic to. I started cereal at about 4 months, then introduced veggies at around 5 months. I'm having a senior moment right now, so I can't remember how long we did cereal.

tericared
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Quoting msdlm937:

It's been 8 years since I've had an infant, but I thought it was veggies, then fruits? But I do agree with Teri, stick with one thing at a time. That way if she is allergic, you will know what she is allergic to. I started cereal at about 4 months, then introduced veggies at around 5 months. I'm having a senior moment right now, so I can't remember how long we did cereal.

The only reason I remember any of this is because my Goddaughter.s Mother was just asking the same thing the other day..

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Well my kids never eat much but you should introduce one food at a time & only that food for a few days to make sure there are no allergies.  I believe it's best to start with veggies instead of fruit.  At this age I would give a bottle first since early on it's more about getting used to it & not about nutrition.  Formula or breastmilk provides what they need for the 1st year.  I think what you're doing is fine to start, breakfast then evening.  With my 1st it was 4 months with the cereal & with my 2nd he didn't really care for baby food either.  Finger foods come later when they get the hang of grasping with their hand then the pincer grasp to pick up foods.  I think every baby is different with that so when they start reaching she'll be ready.  And I'm pretty sure you can do cereal for awhile.  It can be like breakfast, mixed with a fruit & then for lunch/dinner other foods. 

msdlm937
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:01 AM

I honestly can't remember...lol. It wasn't for very long. I do remember that. I know at one point I had like 6 unopened boxes of various cereal. The only one my kids even liked was the Banana Rice (or something like that).

Quoting tericared:

Quoting msdlm937:

The only reason I remember any of this is because my Goddaughter.s Mother was just asking the same thing the other day..

lilahsmommie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Veggies first. If you do fruit the baby will only want fruit because it is sweet and of course tastes better. Why does her doc want her on solids so early? I skipped cereal completely. It tastes terrible, and there is NO nutrition in it, it is for practice.

vanessaandlexi
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM

i dont know it suprised me too. my dd is not liking the cereal too much but i didn't know if it would be okay to just go straight to stage one baby foods.. i might try mixing a lil fruit in the cereal to see if it helps. if not i might skip the cereal too..

Quoting lilahsmommie:

Veggies first. If you do fruit the baby will only want fruit because it is sweet and of course tastes better. Why does her doc want her on solids so early? I skipped cereal completely. It tastes terrible, and there is NO nutrition in it, it is for practice.

I<3myLexi :)

baby girl

glitterteaz
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM

It takes three days to notice a allergy. So three days per new food. Try all the cereals first last being mixed cereals. Then start apples and other mild tasting fruits. you can mix these with cereal (do not use the desserts till you get thru the individual foods due to they have multiple ingredients same goes for dinners and soups) always read jar to make sure your baby has tried the items in it. meats are always the last thing you try. Oh and check them always for rashes on any part of their body thru introduction phases. if you notice anything take them off that food and go to foods you KNOW you kid did well on. then a few days later give it another try. if the rash comes back it is for sure that is a allergy if it doesnt could be detergent allergy (try not to change brands in anything thru this process it rally helps!

glitterteaz
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM

if you do not do the cereal phase you could have issues down the line with allergies. most other foods have those grains in them in some manner. Also cereals are first because they are easier on the babies systems getting it prepared for foods.

Quoting vanessaandlexi:

i dont know it suprised me too. my dd is not liking the cereal too much but i didn't know if it would be okay to just go straight to stage one baby foods.. i might try mixing a lil fruit in the cereal to see if it helps. if not i might skip the cereal too..

Quoting lilahsmommie:

1sttimema_808
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM

i just saw my kids doctor last week. the doctor said to start with green veggies after rice cereal. i mix it in with their rice cereal. my kids really seem to love green beans. their doctor said use the same type of veggie or fruit for 3 days at a time. its funny, i cant scoop out the green beans and rice cereal fast enough for my son but my daughter takes about 10 bites and shes done. then after they eat i give them 2oz less then what i usually give them since they have already eaten. they seem fine with that. try that and see how it goes. :) good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)