Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cell phones for kids?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM
  • 38 Replies

My daughter, age 8, is asking for her own cell phone for Christmas or her birthday (Jan.).  She already enjoys chatting on our home phone with her friends and says several of them have their own phones.  She says she is "big enough and responsible enough" to have her own phone.  Lol.  I have no problem with her having a phone, but my questions are at what age do most kids get a cell phone?  What is the safest phone for her?  Any recommendations?

Thanks

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DessC
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I got my oldest a cellphone at 7 yrs old but not because i wanted to. It was because he visits his dad every other weekend and his father lives 4 hours away. His father had no home phone or cell phone for over 6 months and I wanted my son to have some way to get ahold of me or vice versa. He was only given the phone on weekends he was to go up there otherwise the phone was in my possesion. The only people he could call were those in his phonebook because we had all these parent features on the phone including the chaperone so that we could locate him and revceive alerts when he arrived or left certain areas.

I think that age is too young for a phone otherwise.

joann567
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM

i agree that is a little too young for a cell phone i didn't gat my first cell phone till i was 15 but i would give my child there first cell phone when there about 14.

peasntatersmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I like the parent features/chaperone idea, thanks for your reply!

peasntatersmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Quoting joann567:

i agree that is a little too young for a cell phone i didn't gat my first cell phone till i was 15 but i would give my child there first cell phone when there about 14.

Thanks!

mommybug77
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM

My older girls are 9 & 11. They share a "regular" phone. It has unlimited text since it is part of a family package. We have a family map tracking on their phone.

sunshine86912
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I got my first cell phone when I could drive..and it was a trackphone so I had to buy the minutes for the phone, it was used for emergencies only.  My kids wont have cell phones till they can drive OR are off at sports all the time (so that would be 7th grade that they could do school sports and travel and need to call and let me know they are back at school and need to be picked up).  So if the phone is just for talking to her friends..she can do that at home, she doesnt need to be able to do it at the mall or the grocery store or anywhere else, home should be enough.  Kids *think* they are little grown ups, and I am not for my kids growing up so fast.

msdlm937
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM

My 8 year old has a prepaid one through Virgin Mobile. The only time he uses it is when he goes to a friend's house or if he is out with someone else (family, friends, ect.) Otherwise, he just uses our house phone. I only put $10-$20 of airtime on it.

He has had it since he was 6 though because I used to work third shift and my mom would watch him. The only numbers it has in it are emergency numbers (my cell, work, grandparents, ect.) and at that time it was only to get ahold of me at work if something happened at home.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM

My kids got them when they went to college. 

heidi37217
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I think 8 is a reasonable age to get a cell phone as long as YOU feel she is responsible enough.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:58 PM

My rule was not before HS and I am glad I stuck to it.  Kids are on phones way too much.  I didn't want to start the texting, phone habit any earlier.  They don't need them before that anyway.  IF they needed one for a night, they took mine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)