• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Faith

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM
  • 38 Replies

I didn't write this but saw it on a message board a few years ago and it made a lot of sense to me. I can respect anyones beliefs as long as they are not harming those who cannot or do not consent, they respect my beliefs and don't try to impose their doctrine by rule of law.

Quote:

You have faith. That is great. But remember, faith is actually nothing more than your opinion. It is not based on fact nor evidence. Your faith is a construct of how, when, and where you were raised - nothing more. If you had been born and raised in New Dehli, India, you would be saying (and believing) something else. If you had been born and raised in 17th century Massachusettes you would believe something else. You believe that your god is "the god". There are billions of other folks on the planet who believe that their god is the god. Each of you has the same amount of actual scientific evidence to prove your point.

Anyway, since you like posting random versus from your holy book, here are some random versus from my holybook. Except that mine actually make sense.

ADVISORY: There is an Extremely Small but Nonzero Chance That, Through a Process Know as "Tunneling," This Post May Spontaneously Disappear from Its Present Location and Reappear at Any Random Place in the Universe, Including Your Neighbor's Domicile. God Will Not Be Responsible for Any Damages or Inconvenience That May Result.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any Use of This Post, in Any Manner Whatsoever, Will Increase the Amount of Disorder in the Universe. Although No Liability Is Implied Herein, the Believer Is Warned That This Process Will Ultimately Lead to the Heat Death of the Universe.

Einstein - Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Gould - Human consciousness arose but a minute before midnight on the geological clock. Yet we mayflies try to bend an ancient world to our purposes, ignorant perhaps of the messages buried in its long history. Let us hope that we are still in the early morning of our April day.

Bohr - Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.

Szilard - I'm all in favor of the democratic principle that one idiot is as good as one genius, but I draw the line when someone takes the next step and concludes that two idiots are better than one genius.

Sagan - For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Feynman - …it doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are -- if it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

Hawking - A machine that was powerful enough to accelerate particles to the grand unification energy would have to be as big as the Solar System-and would be unlikely to be funded in the present economic climate.

Archimedes - And the Lord said, 'let there be pi,' and the world was round"

Hippocrates - Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance.

Galileo - It is surely harmful to souls to make it a heresy to believe what is proved

Carlyle - It is a mathematical fact that the casting of this pebble from my hand alters the centre of gravity of the universe.

Fermi -The weak nuclear force does not change over time.

Oliver Heaviside - Shall I refuse my dinner because I do not fully understand the process of digestion?

C. P. Snow - Innocence about Science is the worst crime today.

Paul Valéry - One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall.

A.C. Doyle - It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Keigha.Mak
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I am spiritual, I have faith - and I believe in god. But I try to stay out ofthe religious forums because people can get very heated and very argumentative. I know & feel what I believe, and know that no one else is having the same spiritual experience as me. That's fine. That is why I don't try to impose it on other people.

- BTW, interesting post!

glitterteaz
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

interesting post thanks!

p88hbear
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I love this one ~

Szilard - I'm all in favor of the democratic principle that one idiot is as good as one genius, but I draw the line when someone takes the next step and concludes that two idiots are better than one genius.

Faith is a personal thing.  I have mine.  You have yours.  That does not mean that we can't be kind to each other.  It does not mean that we can be respectful of each other.  It doesn't mean we can't be civil to each other.

Actually, in most faiths - if you don't act kind, respectful and civil then you aren't practicing your chosen faith anyway.

nf1
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM

thanks!

Friday
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM

BUMP!

bakebiscotti
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I know what I know, you know what you know.  Let's talk

Friday
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Quoting bakebiscotti:

I know what I know, you know what you know.  Let's talk

Exactly.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

SavageGrl
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Link please.

Navywifey2007
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Same here.

Quoting Keigha.Mak:

I am spiritual, I have faith - and I believe in god. But I try to stay out ofthe religious forums because people can get very heated and very argumentative. I know & feel what I believe, and know that no one else is having the same spiritual experience as me. That's fine. That is why I don't try to impose it on other people.

- BTW, interesting post!

t_lawson
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Its funny that myself and many more were not raised in church or a knowledge of the bible but we got saved  so that opinion does not hold water. There's ppl in countries that have never heard of God until some evangelist visited and shared the bible with them. They got saved through faith and a willingness to open their heart to what the scripture teaches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)