Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mothers sleep patterns while pregnant and infants sleep through the night

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree???

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

I have a theory that if you have healthy sleep patterns while pregnant that your baby will adapt to those healthy sleep  patterns more quickly. Here is why I have this theory. I have a pretty healthy sleep pattern. It's changed a little since I've become pregnant. I go to bed at about 10 every night and sleep very soundly through the night until about 6:30 every morning no matter the day of the week. Some times I'll take a nap about mid day if I'm lucky. Before I was pregnant I went to bed whenever I I wanted and woke up whenever I needed to get up normally around 7:30-8. I had the same pattern when I was pregnant with my daughter. Then when my daughter was born she slept through the night around 2 months. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. I have friends who have similar sleep patterns as me and all their kids slept through the night at an early age. I have friends who wake up all night or have trouble getting to sleep at night and their kids don't sleep through the night until later. For example my SD is 6 and fights us to go to bed until 10 when most 6 yr olds are in bed by 8. She takes sleeping meds because she use to fight us until 2 in the morning to go to bed. Once asleep regardless of the meds she will get up in the middle of the night. Then she won't wake up in the mornings until abut 10 unless I force her to get up and then she's a crab apple. Her mom has always had very unhealthy sleep patterns. She doesn't go to bed until like 2 am most nights she just can't do it and she complains of being unable to sleep through the night all the time. I'm not trying to start drama here I'm just showing the difference in sleep patterns of mothers and the sleep patterns of children. I know a lot of it is genetic but I also wonder if it's because babys while in their mother's belly learn a set sleep pattern because of the change of your heart rate and breathing while your asleep. They get use to your heart rate slowing down and it helps them to fall asleep then when your awake your heart rate increases just a little so it wakes them up. Does anyone agree or disagree with me. I want to see if I'm right in this matter. I think it's more learned then genetics because my ex has pretty bad sleep patterns and my husband has semi healthy sleep patterns.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I have trouble sleeping and wake up constantly at night. and my son started sleeping 10-14 hours a night since he was 6 months old. he is almost 3 and a bad nights sleep for him is when he sleeps only 9 hours. He rarely wakes up at night and he's also in bed by 8pm every night.

Teeshann
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:19 AM

i've always had good sleep patterns and i had trouble with getting both my kids to sleep at night.

mama2twogirls
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:22 AM
I haven't thought about but I have good sleep patterns and both my babies slept through the night at an early age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lohmggcjr
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I think that you could have something there.  I always slept pretty good.  and I do know that my kids were/are sleepers.  They slept through the night btwn 4- 6 wks. I was lucky. 

momofSkyeNShy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM

So it looks like we are about 50/50 on replies. Maybe I'll add a poll and see if that helps.

flywifey86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I agree w/ my first pregnancy it was true. I would get up every morning at 2 am to watch cbs up to the minute, then go to sleep about 4 am then get back up again at 11am. The second pregnancy I would get up at the same times,but he had colic really bad then so we both barely slept at all for the first four months.

momofSkyeNShy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:01 PM
Flywifey86: after the colic was over did the baby sleep through the night? Cuz 4 months I'd still consider young infant age. I'd say 1-7 months is young infant and 8-14 months I'd say is older infant. After 15 months I'd consider them toddlers at least that's what my ped told be he considers with age break off!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I have always had healthy sleep patterns. DS slept through the night at 2 mos & dd at 6 mos.  LOL  So I don't disagree totally.

I think if you teach the child nighttime routines, the sooner the better, then they will sleep well. 

Your stepdaughter probably fights about bedtime because her sleep routine is erratic, structured when at your house & unstructured at her mom's.

mommam58122
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM

i choose other bc i think i would need scientific research proving this to determine if i believe it or not.

momofSkyeNShy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM
I would love for someone to help me see if we can find research on this. It's really peaked my interest for the day!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)