Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you care. . .

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

about a celebrity's personal life, in terms of spending your money on their movies or music?  Yes, I am thinking of the disgusting Mel Gibson rants that have come out in the past few days.  Personally, I don't think I could spend a dime on a movie this guy is in.  I don't normally care about a celebrity's politics or personal life,  but this is so over-the-top -- particularly in light of his past pronouncements about what a good Catholic he is - do things like this influence you?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allurasmamma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I don't care and I am not a movie chick either...so....

Jessymessy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I could care less about anything to do with celebrities. EXCEPT in the case of Mel Gibson. He is just so awful a human that yes, I will refuse to watch anything of his.

rogerstammy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM

If I did, I wouldn't be watching any movies or listening to music. They all seem to act stupid sometime in their career. Some more then others...

margroc
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Some things do bother me.  I don't even think it's a conscious thing.  After Tom Cruise went bananas a couple years ago - calling out Brooke Shields; Matt Lauer etc. every time I see him on tv I get irritated to the point where I have to change the channel.  Same with Gibson after his homophobic rants in the 90s and then the sugar t*ts episode.  Gibson is more of a conscious thing though because he's just sooooo hypocritical.

LilyofPhilly
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Oh my freakin fairies-this story about Mel Gibson was on KYW News Radio in Philly on Saturday morning. DH and I were both like, "WTF-THIS is news! Has KYW really sunk this low?!"

No, I don't care. I'm sick of hearing about stupid shit that celebrities do. I don't know who half of them are anymore. I think if people are that in this stuff, then they must not have much of a life of their own.

Wake up people; grow a brain, and start caring about more important stuff!

CoeyG
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:38 AM

No I don't care.  When I go to the movies/theatre/concert/rent or purchase a video, etc.  It is for entertainment.  I don't give a damn about Mel Gibson's personal life and I'm sure he doesn't give a damn about mine.  I don't care that John Quale (Prince Poppycock) is gay he is extremely talented and I love his flair.  Mr. Gibson just like the rest of us is only human and is stricken with the flaws of being human. 

bakebiscotti
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I have a visceral reaction to Tom Crusie now too.

I also am offended by Mel Gibson's behavior.  It's not his politics, I don't care about the politics, it's the blatant vulgarity and racism that gets me. 

Quoting margroc:

Some things do bother me.  I don't even think it's a conscious thing.  After Tom Cruise went bananas a couple years ago - calling out Brooke Shields; Matt Lauer etc. every time I see him on tv I get irritated to the point where I have to change the channel.  Same with Gibson after his homophobic rants in the 90s and then the sugar t*ts episode.  Gibson is more of a conscious thing though because he's just sooooo hypocritical.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I guess I missed whatever you're talking about. Which means, I don't give a hoot about what goes on in a 'stars' life, other than they continue to work so I can be entertained. The stars aren't any worse than people we come across every day, in the store, in the church, in CafeMom........so far I'm not giving those things up, so I'm sure I won't be giving up entertainment. 

Raintree
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Yes. Tom Cruise totally grosses me out. I was never a huge fan- but when he started going all weird and handing out offensive advice to people- that was enough.

Mel Gibson- don't care about his politics- do care that he seems to be a misogynistic/racist/abuser. That's about when I consciously start avoiding someone's product.

Quoting bakebiscotti:

I have a visceral reaction to Tom Crusie now too.

I also am offended by Mel Gibson's behavior.  It's not his politics, I don't care about the politics, it's the blatant vulgarity and racism that gets me. 

Quoting margroc:

janel123
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I really am not interested. It's all for ratings anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)