Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Budgets.. What do you do to save $$

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:38 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have recently become a SAHM and am trying to find different ways in order to save us money and be able to make it comfortably on 1 income.  I stopped getting mani/pedis and facials(do them at home now) and I clip coupons before going to the store.  We live about 40 minutes from civilization and I don't make trips to town unless I HAVE to.  I want to be able to start making things we use instead of having to buy them...are there any good websites I could visit?

What are some ways that YOU save money?

Thanks in advance!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajjs1972
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM

two words.

reuse and conserve!

anything from coffee left in the pot to tin foil!

Lil_ol_me9306
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I make everything from scratch.  It's much cheaper.  I buy bargain brand and usually, I'll research before I go shopping so I can get the best deal.

LilyofPhilly
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I line dry my clothes, don't use AC unless it's too hot to breath, keep the heat down to 68 in the winter, and drop it even lower overnight. I don't buy pre-packaged food, except for cereal, and occasional Bocca Burgers. I don't buy meat. I buy vegetables, fruit, beans, pasta, etc. I load up when there's any sales of the things I buy regularly.

I also bought all my sons shorts at Salvation Army this summer. He doesn't like new clothes anyway. He sews patches on his clothes and writes on them-so this works out well. $4 for shorts is a lot better than $24.

kstep
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I live far from a town too, and I save so much money not leaving the house LOL!    Stay away from walmart lol, they take all my money.. I used to when they had one in our town go on the grocery stores web site and write down, or print what is on sale, and you have cupons for those items even better!!  

kstep
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

I line dry my clothes, don't use AC unless it's too hot to breath, keep the heat down to 68 in the winter, and drop it even lower overnight. I don't buy pre-packaged food, except for cereal, and occasional Bocca Burgers. I don't buy meat. I buy vegetables, fruit, beans, pasta, etc. I load up when there's any sales of the things I buy regularly.

I also bought all my sons shorts at Salvation Army this summer. He doesn't like new clothes anyway. He sews patches on his clothes and writes on them-so this works out well. $4 for shorts is a lot better than $24.

Oh hell yeah, if you hit a thrift store on an off day like a Tuesday or Wednesday, you can find all kinds of brand name clothes and they are just fine for my 3 year old, he usually wears the same thing all the time lol, but 3 dollars for a shirt, hell yeah!!!    Oh I used to buy the day old meat on sale and freeze it,  never once got sick, and check out the day old bakery rack, buy up the breads and freeze that too! 

carliemarie1015
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I've also heard of people making their own laundry detergent and household cleaning supplies...

clipping coupons, buying generic...and doing without luxuries

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM

We are lucky no to have to worry now but when we did and when I first became a sahm, we just cut out all extra's really except for some special occasions.  When we first got married it was more important for us to save, then to have a honeymoon, me to have an engagement ring etc.  We just saved as much as we could. Our first vacation was 5 years after getting married  and it was almost all paid for by the company dh worked for. 

I think our girls are blown away at the money we have today and we keep telling them it can with sacrifice and not spending.  I didn't by clothes, except for nurses uniforms for my medical assisting school for at least the first 2 years we were married.  I mean I bought myself nothing.  No new underware even. 

janel123
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Don't go out to eat. My dh and I went to breakfast yesterday with some friends and our bill came to 35 dollars. For the two of us! At a cheap (but good) diner! This is why I cook at home.

rogerstammy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM

We have Timewarner and we subscribe to the smallest package for 15 bucks  month. We have roadrunner light... save 60 a month just doing that. when I make a lasagna I make 2 and freeze one. DON'T purchase soda, make ice tea instead.

countryspun
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Coupons. I am just getting back into cooking from scratch and making more when I cook so I can freeze the extra. I am thinking of trying to make my own laundry soap.  This is a good site  http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)