Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sould we test for drugs when getting government help?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM
  • 20 Replies

I think so...but I want to hear what you think.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterteaz
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I think it is a ignorant idea. Do you know how much it cost to do drug testing? Also there are foods that can give off false positives. That is money is better spent helping people get a leg up not drug testing hundreds and thousands of sober people! 

incasage
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Lol!! Do you know how much money we would SAVE if all the people on drugs were off government assistance.

Quoting glitterteaz:

I think it is a ignorant idea. Do you know how much it cost to do drug testing? Also there are foods that can give off false positives. That is money is better spent helping people get a leg up not drug testing hundreds and thousands of sober people! 

fattypatty
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Quoting incasage:

Lol!! Do you know how much money we would SAVE it all the people on drugs were off government assistance.

Quoting glitterteaz:

I agree with  incasage!

CoeyG
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM

No, some of us are on very heavy prescription drugs due to illnesses some of us are even prescribed marijuana for medicinal purposes.  I can't work due to Lupus, COPD, Hypothyroidism, Asthma and Osteoarthritis, as my illness progresses I will be prescribed heavy duty drugs, my form of Lupus causes cataracts and glacoma, they prescribed marijuana to cope with the glacoma...so you think I should be tested because I can't work but will be getting welfare?   Thanks.  I've been paying into the system for 46 years...why shouldn't I be allowed to partake in what is avaible from the system now that I need it?

incasage
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Your situation is not what she's referring to. People who sit on their ass and are perfectly able to work and collecting a check while snorting a line and puffing on a bowl is more the point she trying to get across.

Quoting CoeyG:

No, some of us are on very heavy prescription drugs due to illnesses some of us are even prescribed marijuana for medicinal purposes.  I can't work due to Lupus, COPD, Hypothyroidism, Asthma and Osteoarthritis, as my illness progresses I will be prescribed heavy duty drugs, my form of Lupus causes cataracts and glacoma, they prescribed marijuana to cope with the glacoma...so you think I should be tested because I can't work but will be getting welfare?   Thanks.  I've been paying into the system for 46 years...why shouldn't I be allowed to partake in what is avaible from the system now that I need it?

LyTe684
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:51 PM
Of course there should be exceptions... like medically necessary. But generally speaking.... YES. I was tested and background checked for MY job to EARN my living.. I think there should be testing.

Quoting CoeyG:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aimee_wren
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Absolutly!  And you should also be a citizen of the US to get aid

ForeverInLove
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Yes!

I think there should be drug testing for PA. You shouldn't be able to get help with food/shelter/medical and whatnot if you can afford to get high.

I am on PA and would have no problem peeing in a cup. Hell, my ob office automatically tests you for it when you get pregnant. And, I pee in a cup everytime I go there.... So, I wouldn't have any issues peeing in a cup. And, if they want hair, I have hair down there that they can take! I won't give up the hair on my head.... personal reasons.

but, I have no problem with drug testing for people on PA. It would knock down how many people are on it and for good reason.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

No. Just like the other post.

If you test people for drugs and then take their assistance away, their kids will end up suffering because of it.

LyTe684
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Disagree. Legal? Yes. Citizen?No. There's a difference and legal non citizens pay into our American system just as much... if not more.

Quoting Aimee_wren:

Absolutly!  And you should also be a citizen of the US to get aid

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)