Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Segregation........ in all public schools?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM
  • 30 Replies

We just had 2 high schools here in Pittsburgh go from 2 high schools Co- ED  to 2 schools segregated. So now they have 1 boys high school and 1 girls high school. Grades 6-12

They seem to think that it will improve education and also take away most all distraction.

What are your thoughts on making all public schools segregated?

I think it is a good start. And a great idea.

Would you support it? Why or why not?

Thank you for reminding me thick....Yes, they plan on having some interaction with the sexes. I am not sure what but they did say they have plans for that.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.thickie.thick.
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Pittsburgh PA? Im near there.

I think its stupid TBH. I think kids need to interact w/ both sex.

SassyPainter
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Eh...not sure.  I didn't need boys to get distracted in school.  And I think boys and girls need to learn to get along on a daily basis...not be aliens to one another after they graduate.  IDK

allurasmamma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Thank you for the reminder. They said that they plan on having some classes CO-ED but not the major ones.

I am about 45 min from Pittsburgh. I used to live in Pittsburgh. and went to this school. It is peabody.

Quoting .thickie.thick.:

Pittsburgh PA? Im near there.

I think its stupid TBH. I think kids need to interact w/ both sex.

allurasmamma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM

See this is what gets me. I get that. And  do agree. However, they have done tests on this with other school apparently and it shows to be true. That the students actually got better grades.

What parent isn't praying our child doesn't get a BF/GF during HS and just concentrates on studies...I think all of us...lol. Least this way we wouldn't have to worry about it in school.

I also think it might bring the amount of kids to college also, even if it is a small percent more. And keep colleges CO-ED and they can get their interaction that way.

Quoting SassyPainter:

Eh...not sure.  I didn't need boys to get distracted in school.  And I think boys and girls need to learn to get along on a daily basis...not be aliens to one another after they graduate.  IDK

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Our school has optional all girls or all boys classes in HS.  Just some classes. English in 9th 10th and 11th grade, Biology, Chemistry, Algebra 1 and Geometry.  My oldest didn't take the all girls.  My youngest did this year.  She has all girls Biology, Geometry, and English 10. 

She LOVED it.  There wasn't a teacher yelling at some of the boys messing around. She was WAY more comfortable in speech this year in English.  Its proven most make better grades in a same sex class. I don't want my kids going to an all segregated school but offering some classes like our school does is the best of both worlds!!! 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

.thickie.thick.
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:42 PM

i live in uniontown , im an hr from pittsburgh , depending on where im going.

even if they have 'some' classes , i think its a stupid idea. theres other ways to distract kids not just the opposite sex.

Raintree
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM

I actually think it will help.

momof3jam
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM
I think it's stupid. They are setting these kids up for failure in the real world. Social interaction, co-ed, is important to development of all ages.

The money could be better spent on something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessymessy
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I think it is a great idea for exactly the reason stated. My sister decided to go to an all girls high school. She said she would love to go to school with brushed hair and sweat pants instead of getting all dolled up and worrying all day if her makeup is smeared. That is what she said, silly, I know, but that is how a teen girl thinks i guess

Jessand2boys
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM

if it works.. it's all good...

I am wondering about the funding.  The schools here are in the red and giving teachers mandatory furloughs, dropping bus routes, they fired alot of aides, they are even talking about shortening the school year.  We also have to pay higher instructional fees this year.

You may not have the same problem up there.. or maybe the cost is minimal.  *shrug*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)