Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do Gay couples stay together longer?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

I found an interesting article about how long homosexual and heterosexual couples stay together.  Unfortually it states that the split rate is about the same.  So I just wanted to know what ya'll thought.  Do you think Gays stay together longer and have better relationships or do straight people.  Here's a tid bit from the article: 

Whether a same-sex edge to mating intelligence makes for longer unions is unclear. Among the couples Gottman studied, the projected break-up rate for homosexuals, over a four-decade span, is a grim 64 percent (gay men are far more likely to split than are lesbians). The 40-year divorce rate for straight couples in first marriages is 67 percent. To amend George Burns: If you wait long enough, every couple wants different things

by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jynnifer292
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:59 AM
I don't think there is a difference. I think that any relationship can go down hill.
mayzell
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM
why would they? We are all humans, i dont see what the difference is. It is still a relationship between two people.
Raintree
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM

apparently the study says they don't.

This study was interesting, however.

3plus4
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 9:13 AM

yeah this

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I don't think there is a difference. I think that any relationship can go down hill.

allurasmamma
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 9:44 AM
I don't know. I think a relationship will last if it is meant to.
silvercrow
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I think that Gay and Lesbian couples work harder to stay together  that straight couples... Like it or not  Straight people abuse their right to marry often... when they get tired of being married they move on to someone else... I think that its kinda sick that the people fighting the hardest to save Marriages from the Gays are the ones who have had mistresses, have been married more than twice Etc... Gay and lesbians have to fight so hard to get what we take for granted that i think they cherish their marriages more and work harder to stay together or better yet are more sure before they enter into it than straights are... I am not saying that there arent Gays or lesbians who abuse the privledge but i dont think there are as many...

Homosexuality is NOT a choice, but Homophobia is

I saw a great bumper sticker today
TEA
PARTIES - are for little girls with imaginary friends.

Nothing in the world is
more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity --
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Rainbow
Man - Hawaiian God who is the lover of love, eliminator of boundaries

Aimee_wren
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM
Well the reason I even looked this up was because I have a gay friend who has been with his partner for 10 years, I however have not been able to make a relationship (before this one) last over a year! I really think that you are right silvercrow! Gays do work harder to make it work, they have something worth fighting for!
silvercrow
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:12 AM

awww thanks its nice to hear that since i was jsut called names on another thread

Quoting Aimee_wren:

Well the reason I even looked this up was because I have a gay friend who has been with his partner for 10 years, I however have not been able to make a relationship (before this one) last over a year! I really think that you are right silvercrow! Gays do work harder to make it work, they have something worth fighting for!

CoeyG
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:49 AM

several gay couples who have been together for a lot longer than the hetero married couples that I've known.  One Gay couple was together when I worked for them back in the 70s they had already been together for almost 10 years...they are still together now...I'd say over 40 years now.  Another couple I know of have been together for almost 30 years now.  Most of the hetero marriages I know of don't make it far past the 20 year mark obviously these two relationships have outlasted all of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN