Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plus sizes for kids - 3 year olds

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:44 AM
  • 11 Replies

Health campaigners said the decision by the High Street giant demonstrated the scale of the obesity epidemic affecting Britain's "overindulged" children, with one in four children now classed as obese or overweight by the time they start primary school.

The retailer said it began a trial of the "plus fit" range last week, in an attempt to meet consumer demand.

The garments are cut far more generously than the retailer's standard sizes, with almost two and a half inches extra around the waistline and hips for clothes for three-year-olds.

Tam Fry, from the National Obesity Forum, said: "It is an absolutely tragic illustration of the terrible obesity problem this country faces, and how early in life it starts. People used to dismiss obesity as a problem of the lower classes, but the decision by M&S shows just how widespread the problem is.

"This is about middle-class children being overindulged and carried everywhere in 4x4 cars, not to mention a generation of parents who haven't been taught domestic science, and don't know how to feed their children a healthy meal at the end of the day."

The range, billed as "cut more generously for larger sizes" employs styles such as "boot cut" trousers in an attempt to flatter the proportions of overweight children between the ages of three and 16.

A spokesman for M&S said the trial had began last week, and came in response to consumer demand and trends among its competitors. He said a decision about whether to introduce the range permanently would depend on customer response.

The retailer Next already stocks some "plus fit" clothes for young children, while BHS sparked a furore in 2005 when it introduced more generous sizes for children of school age.

A group of High Street retailers including Next and Asda have also embarked on a project to measure 6,000 children in an attempt to change regular clothing sizes.

Mr Fry urged the Government to act on research showing that weight gain in early childhood is likely to set a pattern for life.

Last year, British research found daughters of obese mothers were 10 times more likely to become obese, while sons of obese men were six times as likely to follow the same pattern.

The trend did not cross the gender divide, leading researchers to conclude that eating habits were set by the parent a child saw as their role model.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7908340/Marks-and-Spencer-to-sell-plus-size-clothes-to-three-year-olds.html

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterteaz
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Good Grief!!!

mamapaparazzi
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:57 AM

Right??

Quoting glitterteaz:

Good Grief!!!

begamom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:11 AM
Wow....and i have a hard time finding pants that dont fall off my preschooler!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:48 AM

That's very, very sad.

There are so many irresponsible parents out there. My god.

Hubby and I took the kiddos to the beach yesterday.. and my daughter was playing in the water with a little boy.. he was so FAT. I couldn't believe it. His dad (who was also pretty huge) said he was 4 years old. I was heartbroken for him. He is going to have a long, tough road ahead..

If you want to live an unhealthy lifestyle and fuel your most important machine (your body) with garbage.. go for it. But don't drag your innocent children down that same road with you. Grow a pair of balls and do the right thing.

silvercrow
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM

i have 3 under weight children and one chunky monkey... my three older kids were 7lbs babies.. i had  Gestational Diabietes with my last child and she came out 9lbs.. now saying that i fed my kids healthy foods and snacks however i have a little leway because my 8yr girl is way under so i tend to let her eat crappier kinds of things before bed in hopes it will help her get a little fatter.. I also dont let them sit around all day they do get out for an hour at least and are active.. the older they get the lazier they seem to be... right now my problem is the neirborhood boys he plays with are plain and simple Fat... Not a healthy fat either... their little sister who start Kindergarden's clothing is a size 8/10 and i know this because her mom gives me her old clothing for my 8yr and they are too big. instead of staying out and playing they come get my son and go play video games in their house... the most active thing i can get them to do is swim in our pool and they never last more than 10 or 15 min before they (the boys not my kids) want out to do something else

toniojr1
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:07 AM
Exactly. Except my son is 2 soon to be 3

Quoting begamom:

Wow....and i have a hard time finding pants that dont fall off my preschooler!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pookah1203
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM

thats disgusting. what happened to making sure you and child was healthy?

Beatlemama
by Julie on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Poor kids!  I have had kindergarten students who were already wearing adult sizes because they were so obese.  (well over 100 lbs. already) 

pookah1203
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:16 AM

yeah i knew a three year old in 6X

Ashmom614
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:14 AM

well I don't think my kids will ever have that issue lol. Both are healthy, but low on the percentile. I can barely find clothes that fit their length but they fall off their waists lol.

On the other hand...I do think it is so sad when I see overweight children. It really breaks my heart. But I try very hard not to immediately judge the parents. For all I know, something medically may be wrong. However, I think there are many parents who just don't care. Which is extremely sad for those kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)