Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

really? you cant think of a name all by yourself?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM
  • 46 Replies

what is up with people coming online and asking people to help them pick a name for their kids or pets? can you really not think of a name yourself?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Azure
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I think it's normal to want other people's opinions and suggestions. It's also normal not to. I've gotten several unwelcome suggestions for this baby (family, of course) but I just tell them I'll add it to my (imaginary) list and thank them.

Nothing wrong with wanting other people's opinions and suggestions.

Forget-me-not
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM
I think they can but it's part of processing and working it out plus it's fun for soon to be mommies to talk about names. Have you never asked for an opinion on a name from anyone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I had absolutely NOTHING in mind for a name when I found out I was having a boy. It was good to get a wide variety of suggestions.

It's no different than one who uses a baby name book for ideas imo. :)

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

More people from different locations and back grounds means different & unique names.  What is wrong with asking for suggestions?

NSeni
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I had my first names for my kids but absolutely had no clue what would "sound good" as far as their middle names. So, I put a bunch of random suggestions given to me by family members in a bin at my baby showers and had my fiance pick it out. End Result: Caleb Andrew and Madison Elizabeth. lol

anetrnlov
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Why does it matter to you?

Bellsbabyboys
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Quoting ashlee_ann:

what is up with people coming online and asking people to help them pick a name for their kids or pets? can you really not think of a name yourself?

do you think that if they could or didn't want different options. My question to you is who pee'd in your corn flakes? and why the need to be so nasty? 

Admira
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM

There is nothing wrong with asking for  opinions u never know..someone might have a name u never heard of ......you can just ignore those posts if they bother you....

theycallmemom4
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Wow.....

HotMommaStout
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM

As a total name nerd and admin of a naming board, I can tell you that a lot of people just want reassurance that a name they like is right or will work for their child. Sometimes other people can see drawbacks to a name a parents might otherwise have missed like initials such as G.A.S. or a potential cruel nickname.

When it comes to pets(and children too ), people often just want to see what else is out there. Maybe all they can think of for their pet is names like Spot and Rover while they would really like something fitting and unusual for their unique pet and they just can't think of anything. A lot of times with naming their kids, people are familiar with the familiar(Matthew, James, Andrew) or popular classics(Emily, Sophia, Isabella) and current trends(Aiden, Olivia, Ava, Emma), but are looking for something else and don't know where to start. Often there is a name they have heard before and liked a lot but had forgotten about it and once someone suggests it, it just clicks into place as "THE NAME.

There is no harm in asking for a little help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)