Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a mistake ?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM
  • 11 Replies

What mistakes did you witness your parents make? And have you made the same mistakes.

I have. I got preg young.......but did good by my children.

I fell in love to many times. 4.

I used drugs- now clean 5 years. (:

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
p88hbear
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM

My parents did not make any mistakes that I am aware of and I, in turn, have not made any mistakes... I have taken a few detours though... but they made me who I am so I would never consider them mistakes.

danie24
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:16 PM

My parents didn't make any mistakes that I can think of.. or that I would consider mistakes.. other than not breastfeeding us because my Dad said it would look funny (he's grown up since then ;) .. and the only mistakes that I've made (so far) are vaccinating my daughter for 6 months and formula feeding her from around 3 months old to 12 months old.

Other than that.. I think I've been pretty lucky so far. No regrets in my life other than those two things.

CoeyG
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Beating the crap out of me.  and no I didn't repeat that mistake, I hit my daughter once, that was enough to let me know that you don't discipline children that way.

LUVMI4BOYZ
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM
I'll start with my dad, his 2 major mistakes were he was an alcoholic therefore forcing my mother to leave him and the other mistake was him killing himself...he missed out on his kids lives!!

Then my mom....a few of her mistakes were caring more about partying then us which almost led to me being kidnapped and also me bein molested and my sister bein molested tons of times!! She completely ignored my brother who was the oldest and he went wild, drugs, jail and even hit her before....all in all, I would NEVER parent the way she did us, IMO we were negleted!!

Me on the other hand I am 100% opposite!! My kids r my life! Everything I do is for them! They come first in every way!! I don't leave my kids either, they only stay with me r my husband! I am tortured by my past..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NSeni
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I don't know, but I am completely opposite of my parents in their parenting style that's for sure.

valkay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Mistakes are something you repeat and did not learn anything from .. Other wise it is experience

CoeyG
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I have never thought of getting pregnant as a mistake....having a baby isn't making a mistake, it is having a baby.  Falling in love isn't a mistake.  I fell in love 4 times as well and although one of them ended in abortion, one ended in divorce I don't think of them as mistakes, I think of them as lessons in life.   I too used drugs, cocaine was my drug of choice then pot.  I've been clean for over 20 years, I don't consider my actions as a mistake, more of acts of stupidity and distruction. 

To me a mistake is something you do and never learn from.  My life hasn't been a mistake, it has been an almost 57 year education.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM

my mom had some really cool ideas on parenting.......i took the good, and made a concious effort to not repeat the bad. i miss her 

CaptainCookie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

It was weird growing up I saw how clingy my mom was to my dad and I didnt want to be that way. But when out of no where my parents got divorced she became so strong. She had to find a job after years of being a SAHM and she raised us as best as possible. My dad had always held his head high and was strong and when I was 10 I realized how strong he was when he could leave his wife and 2 daughters and not even give a shit. Sometimesyour hero can fall and you find a hero in the ashes around you. I loved my dad and it hurt when he wasnt around anymore but I learned to love and respect my mom more when she held it together for my sister and I. My mom passed away a year ago and I miss her so much. I havent seen my dad since I was 12.

CaptainCookie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Right on. I always love how straight forward you are. You are one hell of a smart woman. 

Quoting CoeyG:

I have never thought of getting pregnant as a mistake....having a baby isn't making a mistake, it is having a baby.  Falling in love isn't a mistake.  I fell in love 4 times as well and although one of them ended in abortion, one ended in divorce I don't think of them as mistakes, I think of them as lessons in life.   I too used drugs, cocaine was my drug of choice then pot.  I've been clean for over 20 years, I don't consider my actions as a mistake, more of acts of stupidity and distruction. 

To me a mistake is something you do and never learn from.  My life hasn't been a mistake, it has been an almost 57 year education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)