• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My friend has ruined himself.*Updated. Prison?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM
  • 36 Replies

I feel so sorry for my friend. He has ruined himself. He is a huge 2012 "crusader" and is absolutely convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the world is going to be destroyed in 2012. He has taken it to the extreme. He used to be somewhat of an attractive guy. But no girls could stay attracted to him because of his very outrageous views on the world and America. He hates our government and burns flags. He used to be more sane than this. He was my best friend. Everyone, even his mother, abandoned him as a child. His grandmother would lock him in the closet and burn him with her cigarettes and his grandpa would beat him with wire coat hangers. He stayed with his uncle but he is about to die. But he started getting tattoos and it escalated into more and more, and now his entire face is covered in tribal tattoos. His whole body is covered. He has tattoos of the Trade Centers burning and burning flags and many other offensive ink on him. I still care for him and I know how great of a guy he can be, but no one wants anything to do with him anymore. No one will hire him for a job, no woman will even give him the time of day. I worry about his sanity. I think he may be going off the deep end and I don't know what to do to help him. I don't really need any advice, I just needed to vent. He stays to himself so much and I know he is getting a little bit (or maybe a lot) out of his mind.. 

Ugh. I just don't know what to do to help him and I feel helpless and it suuuucks!

Holy crap. His new Facebook update says he's going to prison. I don't know what the hell is going on but hopefully he will finally answer my call. 

I'm a 27 year old pro-choice, formula feeding, pro-ERF, spanking as a last resort, animal loving, meat eating, anti-CIO, same sex marriage supporting, public schooling, Atheist. I'm Gavin's mom, Nathan's wife, but most importantly I am me and you don't have to like that. Respect my opinion and I will respect yours. 

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommadiva70
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:31 AM

He definitely dug himself a deep hole.

GOBryan
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:58 AM

Sadly there's nothing you can do but try to talk sense into him. Tell him that he can either see 2012 as a new spiritual awakening with positive influences or he can keep dragging himself down and if/when nothing catastrophic happens then, it may be too late for him.

Unfortunately, the majority of families are going through extreme issues in this country due to the economy and outsourcing, including mine, but we can't lay down and die. We have to make the best of it, as exhausting as it seems, even when we feel we're just chasing our own tail and move forward.

He obviously has mental issues from his abusive upbringing and that can be hard for him to overcome. All you can do is be there for him, talk with him and hope he comes around.

Umm__Rashid
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Well, with a childhood like that it's no wonder he's a bit er....nutty

akb300
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wilesmomma
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:48 AM
Well he sounds like he needs mental help. Talking to him will not help. He kind of sounds like her has schizophrenia and most likely PTSD as well. If he doesn't get the help he needs he will eventually snap completely and hurt someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wilesmomma
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:50 AM
Btw your friend did not ruin himself. His family did a fine job of that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rach_jaco
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM
It's no wonder he has mental issues when he was raised under such horrible conditions. It sounds like psychological problems could also run in his family if they abandoned him and were abusive.

I don't know where you live, but here in WI you can do something called a "3 party commitment". You start out by getting three people together who are close to him and concerned for his well being. Then contact someone from the state, here it was a mediator at our local government center. You set up a meeting with them, express your concerns and then they will decided if a 72-hour psych hold is warranted. If so, the cops will go pick him up and bring him to the nearest mental health facility where he will be held and evaluated. After 72 hours there will be a hearing and the doctor from the facility will give their recommendations. He can comply with what they are asking for, which is usually more time in the facility, or fight it. If he fights it, the judge will decide what happens.

We had to do this for my best friends mom. It is so hard but if he's really your best friend don't you want to say that you tried everything in your power to help him?

Best of luck to you, I hope he gets the help he needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Considering the history of this young man I wouldn't say that he had ruined himself, I would say that those who were supposed to love, support and nurture him in the beginning failed him and he had not solid base from which to grow. 

Newtons06
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM
Perhaps look at having him commited?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinybubblez
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM

bummer. if he were my friend, i'd get him help. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)