Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Randomy lactating dog (piog)

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ok, I noticed today that my dogs 'boobs' were hanging and I figured she was just getting fat and I didn't realize it...Well, I felt the 'fat' and its just her boobs! She's lactating! She's not pregnant, and has never been pregnant. She's not even in heat!She's not fixed right now either, but I know for a fact that she is not and cannot be pregnant as no other dogs are even near her for her to get pregnant, and she is watched while outside. Her stomach also is not hard at all, and never has been hard. She just now has boobs...with milk.Has anyone ever heard of this?I can't take her to the vet right now because we are strapped for cash. Bad I know, but I don't see her having milk and emergency either. The vets around here would want all money up front with no option for a payment plan. Care credit is not an option (had them, they screwed me over). The vets here would immediately do bloodwork to check for pegnancy, plus and ultrasound and tons of other crap that would take my bill to $500 easily... Not worth it imo. She's not sick, just randomly lactating. We will be getting her fixed hopefully, within in the next six months as I have learned of a lower cost traveling clinic that spays a nueters. We just have to get up the money and I have to email to find out the dates when they come here.
For the records, she has never had a litter in the past ever. We've had her since she was about 5 months old and she had her first heat cycle with us. She's been through three of them, none of those times has she been near a male dog nontheless give birth to a litter. I'm just baffled. I'm mobile and tried to google but I don't trust wiki boards and even those are all about dogs that gave birth.So, anyone ever hear of this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom23boys679
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM

That is soooo weird. Never heard of this, but here's a bump.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM

cancer is what comes to mind 

Stephie280
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM

my dog does it all the time. the vet told me its false pregnacy and she's fine

Roraliyah1986
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I'm a vet tech, dog groomer/trainer at a local veterinary hospital, and I also breed Cocker Spaniels and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels as a hobby.  If there is absolutely no way your female could have gotten pregnant and you are 100% sure , then I would assume she is having a false pregnancy. The body will trick itself into thinking it is pregnant and they will lactate, get bigger, act different, etc , but no puppies.  generally it's no big deal, unless they end up getting an infection from building up lining in their uterus constantly, and it doesn't ever break back down and cycle all over again. Sometimes they can get pyometria, which is an infection of the uterus and you will know if they have it by leaky discharge from the vulva.  This is uncommon for a false pregnancy, so i wouldn't worry too much. You do want to stop the lactating though if she is not nursing, because she can get mastitis and it is very painful and will cause fever, infection, etc.  To stop the milk you should feed her every other day, with a very low calorie/fat kibble. Any unnecessary fats or calories will encourage milk production, and they really don't need a ton of food anyway(resist the begging! lol). You should also use cold ice pack or frozen pea compresses to discourage the milk from coming down and will also help prevent mastitis or discomfort from engorging. Let me know if I can help in any other way, and I hope you are able to get her spayed. A lot of the time the shelters will give you a voucher to get your dog spayed for free or almost for free, and low income people can usually get a break. I think a spay at my work is around $100 for a small dog and probably $175  -$200 for a larger dog.

Roraliyah1986
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM

lactating shouldn't have any connection to cancer...Just wanted to say that so you don't freak out thinking your dog is dying! lol

ForeverInLove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM
I did find a forum where someone said false pregnancy, but her only symptom is this sudden lactation. She's not even two years yet, lol. She had no other symptoms though...just milk.

It's just baffling really. Makes me want to call up the no-kill animal shelter and see if they need a foster mother for puppies, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:59 PM
Our local animal control does not do this. I asked about 2 yrs ago with our cats. The closest one that does do it requires you to live in that county and we don't and don't know anybody in the county to use their address. Wish we did, lol, but then its only money off of a spay or nueter, not spay or nueter at lower cost.

I'm going to find out when this traveling clinic comes around. She has shots (rabies and distemper-no vortatella as she's never boarded).
She doesn't seem to be in anypain and this is the first day I've noticed the saggy boobs, lol. Man... My dog has boobs...lmao.

But, I'm def 100% sure she isn't pregnant. She's an inside dog and watched when she goes out.

Any good suggestions on low calorie diet? And would it be ok to just feed her half the suggested amount once a day? I ask because she has a food aggression from when she was starved (before we rescued her) and she's still a work in progress with it. So, would it be ok to just do half the amount of food once a day? Also, does the old 'wrap an ace bandage around them' apply to dogs? I'm sure I could sew up a vest for her to wear that would 'squeeze' her chest but allow her to breathe.

Quoting Roraliyah1986:

I'm a vet tech, dog groomer/trainer at a local veterinary hospital, and I also breed Cocker Spaniels and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels as a hobby.  If there is absolutely no way your female could have gotten pregnant and you are 100% sure , then I would assume she is having a false pregnancy. The body will trick itself into thinking it is pregnant and they will lactate, get bigger, act different, etc , but no puppies.  generally it's no big deal, unless they end up getting an infection from building up lining in their uterus constantly, and it doesn't ever break back down and cycle all over again. Sometimes they can get pyometria, which is an infection of the uterus and you will know if they have it by leaky discharge from the vulva.  This is uncommon for a false pregnancy, so i wouldn't worry too much. You do want to stop the lactating though if she is not nursing, because she can get mastitis and it is very painful and will cause fever, infection, etc.  To stop the milk you should feed her every other day, with a very low calorie/fat kibble. Any unnecessary fats or calories will encourage milk production, and they really don't need a ton of food anyway(resist the begging! lol). You should also use cold ice pack or frozen pea compresses to discourage the milk from coming down and will also help prevent mastitis or discomfort from engorging. Let me know if I can help in any other way, and I hope you are able to get her spayed. A lot of the time the shelters will give you a voucher to get your dog spayed for free or almost for free, and low income people can usually get a break. I think a spay at my work is around $100 for a small dog and probably $175  -$200 for a larger dog.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roraliyah1986
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I'm sure a vest or a bandage would be fine and probably help keep the milk from dropping, and if you can sew you might even make some pockets to put the compresses inside. The ice will help keep the milk from coming down, and is what my boss reccommends. i'm sure you could feed her half the amount once a day or just portion it out in small amounts throughout the day as if it were treats. you can also give her canned green beans, broccoli, cooked carrots, etc that have virtually no absorbale calories for a dog, but make her feel more full and they usually like them. My dog loves cooked sweet potatoes!  lol   I'm not sure exactly what low calorie food you have available in your area, and we typically reccommend the prescription foods if a dog needs to lose weight, which i wouldn't suggest to you, but any decent brand that has a low fat, or senior variety should be good. Avoid foods with a lot of grain content though, as they are just bad for dogs in general. If you can find CANIDAE it's a decent food that's not too expensive compared to a lot of the good brands and they have a senior/overweight kibble that should work well. NUTRO is also a more affordable good food that will likely have a "diet" or senior food. The bag will also reccommend an amount of food that is more than your dog needs(they are trying to sell dog food quicker of course! lol)  so cut back about a 1/4 of what they reccommend, and maybe cut that back some more until the milk stops. I believ you can get an injection that stops milk production also, but the vet would have to administer it, and that is likely a waste of time since lactating isn't a deadly illness you have to worry about! lol  Good luck and let me know if you need any more help!!

Stephie280
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I would like to ask. how bad is your dog lactating? when mine does this we have found we leave her stomach alone for about 2 or 3 days she dries right back up. she aslo has normal heat ever 8 months. And she is only 2 years old

FrenchGrey
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM

You win for oddest post topic of the day...I hope your pup is doing ok...and here is a bump )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)