Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How do you tell the difference in heat rash and allergic reaction? PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son has a rash on his chest but we can't tell if its an allergic reaction to something or just heat rash. It does itch so I put some hydrocortoson cream on it. And watching it. So if anyone can tell me how to tell the difference that would be great thanks!

by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluv2meow
by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I dont think heat rash is as nearly as itchy as a reaction rash. All I know is when I have a reaction no doubt it is not heat rash, it itches so bad its horrid. Sometimes it burns.

FrenchGrey
by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

From what I've seen with my son, heat rashes occur in areas like the crease of his leg or arms...places that sweat or have friction. But that doesn't mean that what's on his chest isn't a heat rash as well.  Sorry I wish I could be more help. maybe put a cool cloth on it and see if that helps?

mom2wy
by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I even put hydrocortisone creme on it and it is still itcy to him. So I just gave him some benadryl to hopefully fight it. Thanks for the reply hun!

bamababe1975
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Try to remember what he may have come into contact with, food, drink, clothing, toys, etc., and jot that down. If he comes into contact with that again and has the same reaction, then you'll know it's an allergy response. If he gets rashes frequently, see his ped and see what he/she thinks about it.

tatar
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

try the california baby calendula cream. it works wonders on mysterious rashes. Someone advised this cream to me here in the Cafe (you know who you are, thank you so much!) hope it works on your baby's skin aswell.

Not sure what's the difference. But here's a bump as well for you!:)

Redteux
by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Allergic reactions are usually systemic - in that they are visible over the entire body.  Back, torso, arms, thighs, neck, face, etc.

Whereas a heat rash is usually localized.

Cause is another factor - allergic reactions are exactly that.  A reaction to something they've come into contact with, usually chemical or dietary.  Heat rash is exactly that - skin irritations because of heat, sweat, and chafing (friction).  So consider the circumstances that created the rash.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 14, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Heat rash goes away pretty quickly.  A reaction may not.  Give some benedryl and all should be ok.  Sometimes you don't ever know what causes the allergic reaction. 

Redteux
by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 7:01 PM

laughing

You said the "B" word . . . . all hell is gonna break loose now.

Didn't you know Benadryl is dangerous????

Quoting atlmom2:

Heat rash goes away pretty quickly.  A reaction may not.  Give some benedryl and all should be ok.  Sometimes you don't ever know what causes the allergic reaction. 

I-Love-My-Girls
by on Aug. 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM

My daughter had the same and they told me she had strep throat.. I don't no how old your son is... but that could be a possibility.

mom2wy
by on Aug. 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Thanks evreyone. I gave him some benadryl and it started to go away yesterday and now is completely gone! I will be keeping an eye on him. I worried more cause he seems to be the one allergic to everything! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)