Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parties where you have to buy stuff? Like Or Not?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM
  • 31 Replies

I like to have a girls night out and they can be fun for that, but when the stuff is super expensive and you're not expecting it... I get irritated. I went to one recently where the CHEAPEST thing you could buy was $60 and that was for a piece of cheap leather string with a TINY silver charm on it. It would cost $20 tops at a store. The rest was $100+ (silver jewelry). It's so uncomfortable. Meanwhile the person throwing it is making free jewelry off of it and the rep makes $$ too. Can't we all just go out shopping for an hour and then get drinks? lol

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_l
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Your friends are the ones who know what sort of fiscal situation you are in, usually, so I wouldn't think twice about not buying anything.  Do NOT feel obligated to buy a thing.  Just go and enjoy their company.  You should start planning the next girls night out so that you can show them how much fun you all can have doing what you would like to do.

vickieb310
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:06 AM

I was invited to one that was a combo party - they had scented body lotions/washes/scrubs, etc and the adult toys...and my mom was also there. lol

maciymommieof3
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:10 AM

yes...

candle parties

Lottie925
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM

"and the adult toys...and my mom was also there. lol"

Hahahaaa! Oh I think my Mom would be mortified! That's awesome.

Also, my financial situation is similar to those friends who have them, I just don't like to spend wastefully. $100 for a piece of cheap jewelry is not worth it. I usually invite them out to a nice restaurant and have a couple of drinks. I have purchased stuff I don't think I need in the past, just because it's a small party and I want to have fun stuff, but it's usually cheap quality. I go in thinking... I'll spend $50-60. I like the purse parties, home goods/cooking parties. Other then that... count me out.

Though I have never been to an adult toy party. That might be a riot.

m0m23b0ys458
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I've been going to/hostessing these types of parties for years.I just recently started selling.

I do have to say though,no way in hell would I pay 60 bucks for a stupid piece of leather with a charm!lmao

cryssi_renee
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:14 AM

I like them.  I don't always buy things but it's nice to look.  Some of the parties the hostess gets free stuff for how many people show up even if  they don't buy anything.

athenax3
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I hate those types of parties, and I've been dragged to or talked into hosting a few, ugh. The stuff is always ridiculously expensive, and you can get it all on amazon or ebay for literally half the cost- so I go, I ooh and ahh, eat the food, drink the wine, and then go home and order that 38 dollar candle for 9 bucks from ebay- and if the host or salesperson is rude or pushy, i TELL everyone else at the party to do the same. I figure eventually this will black ball me from the hard sell your friends lists! lol...

Lottie925
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Quoting m0m23b0ys458:

I've been going to/hostessing these types of parties for years.I just recently started selling.

I do have to say though,no way in hell would I pay 60 bucks for a stupid piece of leather with a charm!lmao

Thank you! lol

laughing

GracieLullaby27
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I certainly don't mind going to support a friend. I usually try to buy a little something if my finances allow. I am actually looking into starting up with a company that does this and sells handbags and lunchsacks...cute stuff and no one around here has heard of it yet. I know my friends' tastes and these bags are right up their alley so I'm hoping they'll support me and throw a party and even think of buying these bags tfor themselves and as holiday gifts. If they don't no biggie.I agree though about the jewlery party you went to. I don't wear jewlery that often but you can be damn sure I don't spend more than 15-20$ on any kind of jewlery!!!

lovingwifey
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I actually just went to a passion party on saturday,  yeah not my thing.  lol

they were passing around dildos, ect.  I did spend 25 dollars on this perfume that smells differently for everyone.  I thought that was neat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)