Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Section 8

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM
  • 151 Replies

What's your thoughts on this?

I have section 8, when my grandmother passed away (I was not living at home) and I was allowed to get on her lease to take care of my disabled uncle. This was 5 years ago when I was working and only had one child. 

Now I have 2 more and my boyfriend lives with us.

My boyfriend is on the lease and I am a SAHM.... some people seem to have a problem with that.

Whats your outlook?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime and my beautiful princess Emily.
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I have no problem with it...I just signed up to get on the list myself.  I have a limited income but want a decent place to live,  I have never had a problem with seciton 8s as long as they weren't abusing the system (selling drugs, running in gangs) raising a family on a limited income is enough to need section 8.

sharebearII
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I'd stop having kids now if I were you.

bakebiscotti
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM

You still qualify for Section 8 with another adult living with you?  Does he work? There are lots of questions I'd have before I could answer whether I had a problem or not.

LyTe684
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I don't like it... but hey.. can't do nothing about it.

Quoting Jaimeslove:

What's your thoughts on this?

I have section 8, when my grandmother passed away (I was not living at home) and I was allowed to get on her lease to take care of my disabled uncle. This was 5 years ago when I was working and only had one child. 

Now I have 2 more and my boyfriend lives with us.

My boyfriend is on the lease and I am a SAHM.... some people seem to have a problem with that.

Whats your outlook?

LaurenMarie2307
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Quoting bakebiscotti:

You still qualify for Section 8 with another adult living with you?  Does he work? There are lots of questions I'd have before I could answer whether I had a problem or not.

Jaimeslove
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I have lived on my island (it's really an Island www.nyc10044.com) most of my life, I had my own apartment here and way paying full rent ($1345 for a 2 bedroom) our rent includes electricity,gas and heat. When I moved in with my uncle, we moved into a 3 bedroom and now we are in a  4 bedroom (5 years later) the buildings were sold to a new company and our base rent is $4,200

I couldn't imagine paying that amount of rent, although our neighborhood is low crime and really a pleasure to live in, $4,200 rent is AMAZING. I think some people have a way of picturing Section 8 housing as ghetto and lacking educated tenants. I just recently put in for a  4 bdrm across the street where the rent is cheaper ($2900) for the same kind of building but we will gain a doorman and a pool !

Quoting CoeyG:

I have no problem with it...I just signed up to get on the list myself.  I have a limited income but want a decent place to live,  I have never had a problem with seciton 8s as long as they weren't abusing the system (selling drugs, running in gangs) raising a family on a limited income is enough to need section 8.

Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime and my beautiful princess Emily.
Jaimeslove
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM

why? I didn't have kids because I had section 8

Quoting sharebearII:

I'd stop having kids now if I were you.

allurasmamma
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I think it is a great thing. I have never been able to get it. Good for those that do, or did. I hear it is a blessing.

sharebearII
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Even honey bee queens stop laying eggs when the hive is full...

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I agree, why have kids you already know you can't afford.  I can see getting in to financial trouble after kids, but if you already have financial trouble and have 3 kids I don't feel sorry at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)