Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Locks of Love

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

My hair is almost to my butt, and I'm so tired of it!  My Metal-loving friends are going to freak out when they see what I'm about to do...

It's never been colored, permed or anything, but I've got just a few grays.  Does anyone know how long your ponytail needs to be to donate, and whether or not they'd take mine?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rose_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM
I donated 15 inches last year. Mine was only halfway down my back and I cut it chin length. You'd probably have enough if you cut to just above your shoulders.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TBOYLE210
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I think it has to be 10 inches.  That's so great that you're going donate to such a good cause : )

CoeyG
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Between 10 and 12 inches I've been told.  Shannon donates her's every couple of years. 

Rose_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:13 PM
Oh and they will take yours. A few greys are no matter. The only no-no's are typically bleach lightening and chemical perms or straighteners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I think they lowered it to 6 inches.

Rose_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Maybe for boy wigs?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I think they lowered it to 6 inches.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sharebearII
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:32 PM

From Wikipedia:

Criticisms

Locks of Love has received criticism for its practice of selling donated hair, rather than using it in wigs as the donors expect. They refer to the hair they sell as "unusable material," but the buyers are using it to make wigs. According to a 2003 report by the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance, in 2002 alone Locks of Love had raised over $150,000 by selling donated hair and had received another $213,000 in charitable contributions and grants, but provided only 113 human-hair wigs.

Locks of Love representatives are frequent guests on The Oprah Winfrey Show and other daytime television shows, where they provide haircuts to guests and audience members, often using guilt trips as manipulation (this is something they encourage of all donors). Though the representatives and show hosts normally suggest that the hair collected during the show will go into a wig, that the wigs are given free of charge to children with cancer, neither of these outcomes is guaranteed or accurate (rarely do the wigs go to children with cancer).[3][4][5] The organization was formed to help people with the illness of alopecia, not to help cancer patients.[5]

[edit] Accountability standards

The BBB 2010 report now lists Locks of Love as a reputable charity. The Better Business Bureau report issued July 2008 states that Locks of Love does not meet its standards for charity accountability because the organization did not accurately report the charity's expenses in its financial statements despite requests for that information.[6] The Better Business Bureau reports that Locks of Love made $352,401 from "unusable material sales".[7]

tericared
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Quoting sharebearII:

From Wikipedia:

Criticisms

Locks of Love has received criticism for its practice of selling donated hair, rather than using it in wigs as the donors expect. They refer to the hair they sell as "unusable material," but the buyers are using it to make wigs. According to a 2003 report by the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance, in 2002 alone Locks of Love had raised over $150,000 by selling donated hair and had received another $213,000 in charitable contributions and grants, but provided only 113 human-hair wigs.

Locks of Love representatives are frequent guests on The Oprah Winfrey Show and other daytime television shows, where they provide haircuts to guests and audience members, often using guilt trips as manipulation (this is something they encourage of all donors). Though the representatives and show hosts normally suggest that the hair collected during the show will go into a wig, that the wigs are given free of charge to children with cancer, neither of these outcomes is guaranteed or accurate (rarely do the wigs go to children with cancer).[3][4][5] The organization was formed to help people with the illness of alopecia, not to help cancer patients.[5]

[edit] Accountability standards

The BBB 2010 report now lists Locks of Love as a reputable charity. The Better Business Bureau report issued July 2008 states that Locks of Love does not meet its standards for charity accountability because the organization did not accurately report the charity's expenses in its financial statements despite requests for that information.[6] The Better Business Bureau reports that Locks of Love made $352,401 from "unusable material sales".[7]

bummer

rocamom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM

just 10 inches for locs of love.  I donated 2 years ago.  They actually will take hair that's been died just as long as it hasn't been bleached in any way.  What a great cause.  Thank You for donating if you do.  I'm going to start growing mine again but it will take me 2 to 3 years before it's long enough.  :):)  My friends mom got a wig from them a few years ago so I say THANK YOU!!!!

AmaliaD
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

wow that sucks that locks of love is corrupt!  my friend donates her hair every 2 years... i will link her... i was going to tell you i heard it was 8 inches.   but who cares now right. there has to be some other charity that does that too... maybe you and "your metalhead" friends (i had metalhead friends in high schooll... he he)  should start one with the amount of hair i remember on my metalhead friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)