Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Flu Vaccine and Autism

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:22 PM
  • 28 Replies

Just a reminder--almost all injectable flu shots currently in use contain 24.5 mcgs of pure mercury.

Here is what happened to my DS after he had a flu shot (along with three other shots) at his 15 mos ped appt.:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1466896/Matthew_s_Journey_Out_of_Vaccine_Induced_Autism

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amyjoe930
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Omg! This is one of the many reasons why I dont get the flu shot.

Julie132
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM

In recent related news:

Europe Probes Swine Flu Shot, Narcolepsy Link

Cases of the Sleeping Disorder in Sweden and Finland Prompt Safety Review

By Kate Kelland
August 27, 2010

LONDON (Reuters) - Europe's drug regulator is reviewing the safety of GlaxoSmithKline's Pandemrix flu vaccine, which has been given to more than 30 million people in Europe, to investigate possible links to a sleep disorder.

The European Medicines Agency said it had been asked by the European Commission to conduct the review after a number of narcolepsy cases were reported, mainly in Sweden and Finland.

Pandemrix has been used since September 2009 for vaccination against H1N1 pandemic flu, also known as swine flu, and has been given to at least 30.8 million Europeans.

badmamajama2010
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM

wow i cant believe that

YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:20 PM

You can get a mercury free flu shot.

foistela
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM

That is false. They say it's mercury-free/thimerosal-free but it has "trace amounts". This is even stated on the CDC's website. Here's the info/link...

How much thimerosal-free influenza vaccine is expected to be available for the 2010-11 season?

For the 2010-11 season, manufacturers project producing approximately 74 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaxsupply.htm

Quoting YuppyMom:

foistela
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

So sorry your son and family went through this (and might still be going through this). I have a son that was born in 2002 and I had almost the exact same thing happen to him. He's doing well now but it took 4 years of OT and ST to get him to this point. It's a long hard road that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Hugs!

I am very proud to say my 21 month old is COMPLETELY vax-free and is doing great! :o)

Quoting Julie132:

Just a reminder--almost all injectable flu shots currently in use contain 24.5 mcgs of pure mercury.

Here is what happened to my DS after he had a flu shot (along with three other shots) at his 15 mos ped appt.:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1466896/Matthew_s_Journey_Out_of_Vaccine_Induced_Autism

Julie132
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Thanks!  Actually he has fully "recovered" from autism!  And he has gained over 50 IQ points in the process.  His doctors can't believe it.  He is starting 2nd grade and was actually selected to go into a 2nd/3rd combination class at his school this year because he was deemed to be such a "strong, independent learner".  Of course just like typical kids, I sometimes wish I saw more of this attitude at home :).  But, like you, it was a very long, hard road to get out of autism that I would not wish on anyone.

Quoting foistela:

So sorry your son and family went through this (and might still be going through this). I have a son that was born in 2002 and I had almost the exact same thing happen to him. He's doing well now but it took 4 years of OT and ST to get him to this point. It's a long hard road that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Hugs!

I am very proud to say my 21 month old is COMPLETELY vax-free and is doing great! :o)

Quoting Julie132:

Julie132
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Quoting YuppyMom:

These can be very hard to find (last year I could not find a thim-free shot for my parents who insist on getting the flu shot even though it has been found to be ineffective in the elderly).  I like the previous poster said, they still contain trace amounts even when labeled "mercury-free".

AmaliaD
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Thanks - we dont do flu shots anymore - actually switched pedis because she tried to make me feel bad when i offered to find her the jama (accredited medical journal article) that said getting the flu shot doubled your chances of getting the flu... not to mention the mercury.   i am delighted to not see any  pro vaxers bashing... that is cool.

YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I definitely not worry about a "trace" amount of thim in a vaccine.  When they say trace...it is nearly non-existant.  (I know scientists and researchers who work with these particular vaccines and have been instrumental in the research and development).  That said, I am sure there is MORE mercury in the sushi I feed my children.  And last year...after getting h1n1 and seasonal flu shots...we went and ate mad amounts of sushi.  :)  LOL

Quoting Julie132:

Quoting YuppyMom:

These can be very hard to find (last year I could not find a thim-free shot for my parents who insist on getting the flu shot even though it has been found to be ineffective in the elderly).  I like the previous poster said, they still contain trace amounts even when labeled "mercury-free".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)