Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If one of your parents asks to live with you, would you ask him/her to share rent?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM
  • 64 Replies

Poll

Question: If one of your parents asks to live with you, would you ask her to share rent?

Options:

yes

no

ETA: Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

Kindly vote on the poll and share your thoughts here, thanks

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowgirlsr2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:04 PM

No my parents didn't charge me rent when they raised me so there is no way I could ask them to pay me it would be an honor for my dad to even want to live with me.

BMW0508
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Depends on the situation. My mom and sister and my mom's bf and 2 of his kids did stay with us for a couple of months because they pretty much had no where else to live. They both had jobs and the kids where in school. I'm pretty sure they helped out but we did not expect them to. But if it was more of a long term thing, yeah, I'd probably ask for a little help. Maybe not rent (or mortgage) but with food and a few bills.

onefootcutiepie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Of course not! 

nemiller
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

we'll probably end up having my MIL live with us (i'm assuming it'll happen shortly after returning to the states).  i won't expect her to pay rent, but i know she'll want to contribute to bills, especially groceries.  my only real rule is that SIL will not be moving in AT ALL.  EVER.  she'll be an adult by then and i just don't have the patience to live with her and all her drama.

oh... and my MIL will not be able to cram my house full of useless shit.  her packrat tendencies will go no further than the doorway of her own bedroom.

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I read the poll wrong..sorry..although I voted yes, I meant no...I need to go to sleep...

hamptonj
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I dont have parents but yeah I would have to charge a lil something even if its just to help buy food. (for my mother in law I would not let her stay) I would end up hurting her. enough said.

momof3inTN

My mom does live with us. We pay the bulk of the mortgage because we use most of the house (5 of us, 1 of her, LOL but she has a nice apartment in the downstairs). Then we split the bills. She pays the landline and internet and trash. We pay the electric, water and satellite. We pay the bigger bulk of the monthly bills but we don't have an credit card debt and she is paying hers off. It is a great arrangement for us. Plus she loves being able to see her grandbabies on a daily basis.

Allergic2Stupid

My mother can't live with me.  I would happily help her find a place though and if she needed a few extra bucks for rent I would do my best to help.

But I guess if she DID live with me yes, she would have to pay a bit of rent.

allycally
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Dh mom lives with us and doesnt pay anything...But I do think she should

mamaraylene
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)