Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you do? (Friend's kids have lice) **update

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 4:08 AM
  • 36 Replies

My friend went away for the weekend. She is a single mom with 6 kids also, her 3 youngest are staying with me for a few days. Because of ongoing issues with them repeatedly having lice, I decided to check them before bed, 2 of the 3 have lice.  I was pretty pissed. I have 6 kids myself and don't need the extra hassle, but what really set me off was the fact that their mom knew about  it before she left for the weekend. I asked the kids if they had told their mom they were itchy and they said yes. She checked their heads and said she'd treat them when she got back, ON MONDAY!

What gets me is that she is off enjoying herself for the weekend and having what she calls a Mommy Sanity weekend. WTF? Well, there goes my sanity for the next two weeks while I try to run around doing laundry, vacuuming etc to make sure my family isn't lice infested as well.

I sent her some pretty heated text messages and told her she needs to get her head out of her ass, but she is out of cell range and won't get them until she's on her way home. However, I do have the # for the guy she is with, and I'm tempted to text him and demand she come home and deal with the lice herself.

I am really really upset, disgusted and disappointed with her, however I don't think this will end our friendship. I will be pretty distant for awhile, until she gets her priorities straight and I will also make it clear that I will not be her free babysitting for her children anymore.  But I'm not sure if I should go so far as to text her bf and try to make her come home. What do you think?

She is totally in love with him, but they are not technically even dating right now. They broke up before summer and just starting talking again, and are having a platonic, more or less, weekend away at his cabin.  They broke up because he wasn't sure he wanted to take on young kids, as he's considering retiring.  If I text this to him, there's a good chance it would ruin any chance of them getting together, but at the same time I'm so pissed at her I really don't care.

Normally she's a very unselfish giving person who would give you her last dollar and go without herself if you asked her for it, but even her own daughter is fed up with her antics lately. What would you do?

**MORNING UPDATE: Well, the entire house needs to be treated anyway so here's what I decided to do. I took the 2 children with lice home last night, and told them to sleep together in their mother's bed, lol. Their oldest sister is home and is watching them. The 3rd kid was here last night and fell asleep so Iet him be and will wash up the bed in the morning.

I sent mom a text this morning and asked her to call me asap. They are possibly out fishing and won't get it until later, but I will be asking her to come home and deal with it immediately.

I am going out right away to buy shampoo for us all here and treat us all this afternoon, then if I haven't heard from her I will go to her house and treat the 2 kids as well. Although I feel the girl needs to have her hair cut I don't think I will go that far because I don't want to traumatize her. She's never had a short haircut in her life. I am looking up one of three zillion websites with instructions on how to treat lice, and highlighting and underlining the part about picking out ALL nits, etc.  and leaving that on her kitchen table. 

If she doesn't come home tonight I will have to go get the kids by 6pm and then will probably keep them on the leather couch in the basement as its the easiest to clean.

Thank you for everyone who answered.  I have the tendancy to make rash decisions and was furious last night. I wasn't sure if I was being reasonable or not. Lice is a BIG deal to me, I can't figure out why she doesn't think so too.

by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 4:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daiseymae2
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 4:14 AM

I would probably call and tell her to get her ass back there and to stop putting some man before her children!

RazmatazzBt
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 4:18 AM

If she isn't coming to get them...do you think that you could treat them? And I mean, treat all three of them because maybe you missed something with the third. Wash all their clothes etc. Don't let them lay on your kids bedding. Get that spray and spray where they slept when they leave? I dunno but goodluck!

nemiller
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 4:24 AM

i'd treat them, check my kids and possibly treat them, and clean the hell out of my house... then hand her the bill when she gets back.  i think since she's a normally giving person, i'd just have a serious conversation with her when she gets back about keeping her priorities straight no matter what her romantic situation is at the moment.  and stress that she can't do shady shit like that to other people just so she can have a weekend with her boyfriend.  you risk burning bridges when you abuse friendships like that.

wiard4jesus
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM

I personally would text or call & DEMAND her to get her ass back & deal with her children having head lice NOW not MONDAY!! I understand it's your friend but YOU have to realize that she put you in the situation to get it along with your kids & that alone would piss me off beyond belief...You already have a ton of work to do b/c it was brought into your home. I really think you should make her come home & put her kids first period! It really depends on how you feel about the situation but it seems like your really pissed & I don't blame you one bit...Good Luck Mama & I hope you get your point across to her that what she did was way messed up!!! (HUGZ)

Six_on_my_own
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 4:36 AM

To clarify, I do intend on treating the children. I will have to go out and buy the shampoo myself and who knows when she will pay me back, but I can't make the kids suffer because their mom is an idiot. 

I am sorely tempted to cut the girl's hair, it is halfway down her back and covered in nits.  It will take me at least 3 hours to comb through it all.  When their mom treats them, she does the shampoo, but then doesn't do the nit-picking, and then she wonders why the lice keep coming back.

lifetimelove
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 5:03 AM
Cut her daughter's hair.

Poor kids. =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 6:39 AM

You're going to text her?  or Him or whatever?   What about going to social services and telling them that the mother of these children is "vacationing" with some man while her children are suffering from lice infestation.  Tell them that at the time you agreed to take her kids you had no idea they had this problem and that their mother was aware of it but did nothing about it because she was hell bent on getting fucked over the weekend.  Then leave the children in the hands of Social Services and let them contact the mother.  Obviously her prioroities are not her children but what goes on between her legs.  And when she confronted me about it that is exactly what I'd be telling her.

Since Admin won't let me post this as an informative post regarding the disease,Lupus I am placing the links here;  http://coeyg.blogspot.com/ http://coeyg.com/Lupus/Lupus2/lupusinfo.html

rjackson4684
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 7:03 AM

This is a tough one.  If I were in your shoes and I had to shampoo the kids anyway, I would do what needed to be done and let my friend enjoy the weekend.  The damage had been done in the house and it has to be cleaned and washed from top to bottom, and at this point if the girls hair needs to be cut the do it it will grow back.  And if she is mad about that then she should have taken care of it in the first place.  you are in control of the situation so do what you think needs to be done to fix the infestation.  Good luck to you.

CoeyG
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Quoting rjackson4684:

This is a tough one.  If I were in your shoes and I had to shampoo the kids anyway, I would do what needed to be done and let my friend enjoy the weekend.  The damage had been done in the house and it has to be cleaned and washed from top to bottom, and at this point if the girls hair needs to be cut the do it it will grow back.  And if she is mad about that then she should have taken care of it in the first place.  you are in control of the situation so do what you think needs to be done to fix the infestation.  Good luck to you.

Oh yeah let the bitch who dumped her lice ridding kids on you have a good time afterall her getting fucked over the weekend is far more important than her children's health. 

Since Admin won't let me post this as an informative post regarding the disease,Lupus I am placing the links here;  http://coeyg.blogspot.com/ http://coeyg.com/Lupus/Lupus2/lupusinfo.html

danie24
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2010 at 7:08 AM

If she didn't know, I wouldn't be upset.

But because the kids actually told you that she checked them and would treat them on Monday I would be LIVID. I would absolutely, 100% without a doubt text or call the guy she is with and tell her to get her ass home and take care of her lice infested children.

I would also tell her that she is a selfish bitch for KNOWING about the lice and not only dropping them off anyway, but not telling YOU about it so you can keep the kids separated at bedtime.. and so you could start the treatment for them.

How fucking disgusting that she would rather her kids have itchy heads and go fuck some guy she isn't even dating than be with her babies this weekend and reschedule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)