Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm scared for this winter!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM
  • 11 Replies

Last year, starting in October, my daughter (then 4.5 months) stopped breathing. Was hospitalized with bronchiolitis and had oxygen sat. as low as 65%.

Then in December, she was hospitalized again, low oxygen stats again, and another case of bronch.

Same thing in Feb. Then in May of this year she was hospitalized immediately after her diagnosis with a swallowing disfunction and they put a feeding tube in her (ng tube). She had it removed at the beginning of june.

She has been healthy all summer, and im terrified of this winter coming again. We live in Missouri, so its kind of irritating with our weather changes.

Ugh, what extra precautions should I take besides tons of cleaning and washing hands and so forth?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama2ETA
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM

BUMP!

1TimeMomma28
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:32 AM

BUMP!

t_lawson
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Im sorry you have to live with this fear. All I can suggest is prayer along with the hand washing.Make sure visitors understand the need for doing the same. Maybe talk to the Dr about vitamins to help boost her resistance.I can understand your fear.When it comes to our children, We can't help it.I had a friend lose her baby to SIDS right before I had my baby. It scared me so I put his bassinet in the floor by my bed and slept with my hand on his chest. Would they let you have a monitor to set off an alarm if breathing stopped ?

NearSeattleMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Hopefully she'll be healthier this year since she's older.

I'd avoid taking her to crowded public places, even grocery stores, during the worst of cold and flu season. 

Good luck!

daiseymae2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:43 AM
If she gets sick like thar again this winter, I would consider moving to a different climate. I hope she doesn't get sick like that again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM
When she stopped breathing last year, it was right in front of me, and she turned grey. But I got her breathing again. They said it was the swallowing disorder that did it along with the bronchiolitis.

Quoting t_lawson:

Im sorry you have to live with this fear. All I can suggest is prayer along with the hand washing.Make sure visitors understand the need for doing the same. Maybe talk to the Dr about vitamins to help boost her resistance.I can understand your fear.When it comes to our children, We can't help it.I had a friend lose her baby to SIDS right before I had my baby. It scared me so I put his bassinet in the floor by my bed and slept with my hand on his chest. Would they let you have a monitor to set off an alarm if breathing stopped ?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tatar
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Come to California:)

Mama2ETA
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM
Oh and they won't give me a monitor, but we have an angel monitor. That detects movement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM

A healthy diet would help keep her immunities up.

sharebearII
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Vitamins, liquids..   Juices...  Green veggies.   Boost up her immune system now.   ...and how about a Flu Shot for everyone?

Here's a great way to get antioxidants and green veggies in her:   In your blender, put a cup of baby spinach greens, a cup of frozen blueberries, and a whole can of Fresca.   Put it in a cup, so she can't see what it looks like, call it Blueberry Tea or something...   It's delicious!   Works with any kind of frozen fruit, but blueberries and strawberries are highest in Vitamin C.

No sudden changes in temperature.   Warm your car up before you take her outside.  Keep your house warm after a bath, etc...  

Good Luck, Momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)