• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much work do your kids do around the house?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM
  • 11 Replies

What kind of household chores do your kids do? How important is it to you that your kids do chores around the house?

I have four kiddos - my 14 year old feeds the animals, keeps her room clean (ha, lol), and takes out the trash.  My 12 year old does dishes 2 times a week, keeps her room clean (double ha, lol), and cleans the cat litter daily.  My 8 year old straightens shoes in the foyer, keeps his half of his room clean (he really does!), and helps set the table.  My 7 year old keeps his half of his room clean, helps clear the table, and straightens up the living room (easy job).

They also help me cook - this is where I teach them all the know-how I wished I knew when I moved out and had to learn on my own, lol.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamafor6
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:19 AM

My kids have one task a day during school days and three during summer.

Kitchen

bathroom

dining room

living room

laundry

and feed animals are the things on the list all the kids are responsible for helping me with these duties after dinner

ms_mommy_sue
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:21 AM

help feed and water animals all week.

9yo dishes 3 times a week, scrub sink of toothpaste 2 times a week, put her laundcry away, clean her room,

6yo clear table 3 times a week, scrub tub of excess soaps 2 times a week, put his laudry away, clean his room.

as a family we all vaccum and dust the whole house on saturday --we race and the winner gets an extra scoop of ice cream.. i let them win!-- then we work on any big projects like cleaning out closet together.

i want them concentrating on school work so the chores they have never take longer then 20 minutes and then once school work is done they can play to their hearts conctent

Brianne036
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:23 AM
Most days I let my kids slide on school days Ds takes out trash. Dd cleans litter and feeds pets. They pick up here or there as told...
On weekends they both are expected to help me in the whole house. I cannot think of a single chore in my house ds(8) can't do as well as I can..... They both help me alot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazybusymama3
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:24 AM

You are a GOOD MAMA!! My kids try to keep their rooms clean, take out the trash...empty the dishwasher...pick up the yard...Keep their bathroom clean...clean the livingroom....clean off messes from the diningroom table and put away their laundry  and feed the animals.

crystal626rose
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM

My 2 oldest (9,7) keep the 2 kids bedrooms clean . They take the kids clean laundry ( 9 helps start the wash and switch to the dryer ocasionally ) . Every once in a while ,if there is a lot to do , they will help with the cleaning (not often) . And thats about it . I really need to work on real chores for them to do everyday .They have no idea what goes on around here LOL. DH and I made the decision that school was most important ,chores could come later . I think it's time for chores LOL.

allurasmamma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM

As long as my kids are in school they will not be doing much cleaning. They have to pick up after themselves and if I need help they will help me.

I love to clean and I don't like other people to do it for me.

sarah969
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM

BUMP!

try_again
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM

My daughter will be turning 3...

She helps cook.
She picks up her toys...
Folds laundry.
Will do dishes...

Of course most of these are her just playing in them.... Lol! But its fun!

Teeshann
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

not a whole lot at the moment. they are only 5 and 2 so basically keeping their rooms and toys cleaned up. mac has to feed the dog. she earns a quarter if she picks up the living room and front room so i can vacuum.

but they'll help me with other stuff. like last night i had to clean out the pantry cuz it was getting ripped out. LOL. and she helped me by carrying the smaller stuff.

Tea4Tas
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM

My kids do?or did , 2 went off to college

Feed and walk the dog, make dinner 5 nights a week, watch the youngest after school 5 days a week, set the table, load and unload the dishwasher. Keep their rooms clean, take out the trash, vaccum their assigned areas, and do their own laundry. Oh and mow the lawn. We all pitch in on the leaves. They also clean the half bath and their own bathroom.

I have had to take over some of the stuff, as I only have my 13 year old and 7 year old home now.

I do some of the vaccuming and my youngests laundry (his sister used to do it)

The youngest now has more chores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)