Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom leaves toddler at store because toddler didn't want to leave....

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:02 AM
  • 15 Replies

SOUTH BEND - A 20-year-old woman was arrested Saturday night after her 2-year-old daughter was found alone at a Martin's Super Market

Police say the child was found wandering outside the store at 1302 Elwood Avenue about 8:30 p.m.

The girl, who was crying, was unable to tell store employees or police where she lived, and officers were unsure how to identify her.

But a short time after she was found, the girl's grandmother came to the store looking for the child. She came to the store after her daughter, the child's mother, returned to their home without the child.

Police went to the family's nearby home and confronted the 20-year-old mother, who said she left the child at the store after she refused to leave the store with her.

According to a police report, a Child Protective Services worker left the 2-year-old in her grandmother's care. Police arrested the 20-year-old and took her to the St. Joseph County Jail, accused of abandonment.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100927/News01/100929545/-1/XML

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofblueyes
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM

That is crazy!  How the heck does a 2 year old refuse to leave with you?  Pick them up, and carry them out....sheesh!

Lilypie - (CTjd)Lilypie - (rPXE)Daisypath - (AjS1)426796xy3jcqd0mt.gif kiss a soldier image by denistephenson

rjsmommy214
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:07 AM

wow...no wonder cps didnt want the mother taking care of her.

mamafor6
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

That is crazy!  How the heck does a 2 year old refuse to leave with you?  Pick them up, and carry them out....sheesh!

mommasbabies77
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:10 AM
Wtf
grownsexy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:10 AM

She just wasn't ready for a child. Even though I think this is crazy I can understand. The young woman needs help.

ForeverInLove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM
Omg! My son is 3.5 and often 'refuses' to leave places. He'll attempt to run away, or not get into the van. Hold his arms down so I can't put him in his harness...he gets a quick attitude adjustment and then he cooperates or at least allows me do what I need to do. He may not be happy yet, but at least I know he's with me!

I would never fathom leaving my child at a store! I would allow my temper tantrum throwing child to stay in an isle while I hid around the corner, but never leave them alone. I'd watch at all times. Once they realize you are gone, they often suddenly want momma.

This 20 year old needs a swift kick in the ass and needs to be forgotten about in jail for a day...or more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaotickitty83
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM

wo, that is one mother who is messed up, how you gonna just leave your lil one like that?....im glad they picked that momma up, she dont deserve any kids

carinyosa99
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Glad the grandmother had some sense to go and look for her granddaughter. Sometimes, you have families that just cycle this behavior and the grandmother might not have done anything.  The mother needs to get her life together -she clearly isn't prepared to be a mom.

cdwilber
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM

UM........... Hello........... who is the parent???????

how could anyone leave a young child like that alone?

I dont understand that

K.A.R.T.S
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:19 AM

So pick up your child and leave moron.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)