• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common law divorce???anyone know?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM
  • 4 Replies
I have been legally separated for 5 years. I have filed for uncontested divorce twice and my ex never returned the paperwork....which turned it into a contested divorce with children involved and I was a single mom with no CS at all. I never found the extra $$ lying around to get a lawyer

well now I'm engaged and I'm working on my divorce....choosing the best plan.... We are agreed on custody and when I left I left him all our $ and property and everything I aquired on my own is safely in my aunts name even if he were dumb enough to try to claim things I got after I left

I was asking around about lawyers and several people told me that I should check my states common law divorce laws. That I may be able to just apeal to a judge and have it signed off without usual divorce proceedings.

Have you heard of/expiriences this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Brianne036
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Bump?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunnyJoJo
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:12 PM

You may want to check your laws again, (if they've changed in those 5 years) because when my ex didn't return his paperwork it turned into an uncontested divorce and basically what was in the decree happened. They send it and have to sign for it, the moment they sign they have a time period on that paperwork and if they don't return it, it's taken as they don't have an issue with it.  My divorce was final last year.

Good luck though, I have no idea about common law divorce but I thought I'd mention the above and my experience with it recently. Especially if you filed a while ago.
What state are you in? Do you have the money to get a lawyer this time? It nothing is contested you basically just pay the retainer and they file the paperwork for you, it really does just go alot smoother, and they know all the laws in your state.

This is my family, It's little and broken, but still good... Yeah... Still good.

Brianne036
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM
Oh. Thanks. That's good to know. I live in Texas now but I filed in Louisiana 3&4 years ago
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunnyJoJo
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

if you've lived in texas for 6 months you should be able to file there as opposed to filing in Louisiana. (texas may be a little different, but it's 6 months here in MN)

Quoting Brianne036:

Oh. Thanks. That's good to know. I live in Texas now but I filed in Louisiana 3&4 years ago

This is my family, It's little and broken, but still good... Yeah... Still good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)