Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

really? i mean reall?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM
  • 24 Replies

since when are you not allowed to lock your new puppy up when you leave the house so they dont distroy your house? i got a new puppy last thursday well my neighbor today whom i just met today comes over to ask me if i can make the dog stop barking bc she runs an inhome daycare and her kids were napping and the dog was bothering them and i told her i was sorry the dog was barking because she was locked in the bathroom bc i wasnt home. i mean what has it come to when your dog cant bark because it bothers others i dont want to rehome the dog but it might come down to just that sorry had to vent

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjfamily
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM
Is her house connected to yours; like a townhouse or something? Maybe try putting him in a crate and leaving some music or the tv on or put a blanket over top the crate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:02 PM

If you live in an apartment you don't have the right to disturb your neighbors regardless.  I suggest getting a kennel for the puppy and putting it in a room that isn't close to your neighbor's apartment.  Hopefully you got the okay from your landlord to have a puppy, if not you could be evicted. 

seth.ethan225
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:02 PM

ME TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have a 6 month old puppy and have had her for 4 months. We had the police come out for barking, I said sorry, was pissed cause no one had the balls to come and talk to us about it. I was in the shower one day (3 days ago) and the dog was barking outside. I yelled at her to stop, finished my shower, put sweats on and grabbed her to put her in. I got the cops CALLED because I was yelling at her to much and was abusive. HAHA. I just can not win. I bout the do not bark collor to put on her as a last resort. If it does not work I have to get rid of her... I feel your pain mama.

Elyce225
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Have you ever had a barking dog wake your kids up though, it is so annoying. Where we used to live (in a HOA) we could call the cops on anyone whose dog was braking even if it was inside their house. We had to do it to our neighbor because their dog barked all night long when we had a newborn. For a week straight my baby didn't get any sleep. Why is your dog barking so much? Why isn't he in a cage if you want to lock him up? I think locking him in the bathroom is weird, usually you put them in a cage and cover the cage with a blanket so they sleep.

I'm with your neighbor on this one. If it were my kids/daycare kids I would be pissed too.

mommam58122
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM

first off yes i live in a duplex side by side i figured since my kid cries all night and they never said anything about that and my other dog barks sometimes i assumed they couldnt hear it secondly no i do not live in an apartment 3rdly no i have never had a barking dog wake my kids up but im thinking of rehoming the puppy because ever since i got her i feel like i have been neglecting my other dog because she doesnt like to play with my older dog (the puppy i mean) and i have had my other dog longer and yes i am trying to get a kennel for her and hopeing that will help im just worried if i leave her to roam the house she is going to chew up my entire house then im going ot be pissed

Kaelansmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Ouch,... looks like I am a bad pet owner to... I kennel both my pups when I leave the house... one, to protect any workers that may need to get in (I live on base) and two, to protect my furniture!

Though, try giving the pup some toys that she can play with, like a kong and maybe get a kennel. Sometimes, if they are in a bigger room, alone, it makes them more anxious. May keep her from barking.

robinalbright
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM
you would be mad if a barking dog woke up your kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
midgettrainer
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I am not a fan of the anti-bark collars, but a muzzle does work.  You should try a crate with a blanket, especially since they do not cost that much.  I would also try leaving a radio in the bathroom with a talk station playing.  When we first got our dog we had to crate him when we left and he did great after just one day, just dont make the crate a place you put the dog when you are punishing it.  If you give the dog plenty of things to chew on that you show him he is allowed to chew on (by playing with him and those toys) the dog is less likely to chew anything else in the house. 

Elyce225
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Don't get rid of the pup until you try everything first. I wouldn't let him just wonder around the house either because a puppy will chew things up. But locking him in a room all he is going to do is bark. I would go and get a cage tonight, I bet that would work. We have an English Bulldog, when he was a puppy if we didn't cover his cage he would bark all the time. As soon as the blankets were put over his cage he went right to sleep. It is also a good way to house train them (I'm not sure if yours is or not). Dogs usually don't shit where they eat.

What kind of dog is it?

toopicky429
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM

My sister had to do this with her schnauzer. It worked really well. She would put him in his crate, and place it in front of the TV. He got to watch cartoons all day, lol, and he stopped barking for no reason.

Quoting kjfamily:

Is her house connected to yours; like a townhouse or something? Maybe try putting him in a crate and leaving some music or the tv on or put a blanket over top the crate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)