Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Food Bank giving out expired food

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

so i had a friend of mine who went to our local food bank today they gave her loads of stuff she thought oh wow i got it good from this it will deafently help. she had to throw most of it out because it expired months ago. she had bread that expired back in june of 2010 its now november 2010 i mean are you serious? i understand that yes the food bank takes donations and what not but dont they atleast owe it to the hungry to give them healthy non expired food? i mean ok if its some bread that expired last week and is still soft and not moldy i can understand that but handing out food hard bread that expired back in june? are you serious? once she actually looked through it she started seeing the mold on it.

by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilblufrog
by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Sometimes that is how they get the items. Mis-dated products. My FIL works for a dairy and if the date is wrong they have to "throw it out" but sometimes they donate it to food banks. But I agree with the healthy part. We had to go to a food bank last year after hubby lost his job and they gave us candy, soda and ice cream. My daughter was 2 and I couldn't give her that crap.

mommam58122
by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM

i would LOVE some ice cream as long as it wasnt expired lol

wicked_tink
by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:44 PM

thats sad.i hope things get better for your friend

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:44 PM

My children volunteered this summer at a food bank a few towns away.  One of their jobs was painting shelves OVER THE FREEZERS.  In the freezers....was bread and milk.  Donated bread and milk can be frozen so that it will not be "bad" past the expiration date.  It is VERY possible that these items had been frozen and then thawed for the immediate use.

Pandana
by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM

What do you mean "owe"? It's a charity. They can only hand out what they have. If that's all they have to give, then that's what they give. If people don't want it, they don't have to take it. It's not a matter of what they "owe" to the poor. It's a matter of what they are able to collect for them which is dependent upon how charitable the community and it's retailers are. The poorer people are, the less picky they are. So food banks will give out whatever they have, and if people don't want to take it, they can leave it.

MyndRayne
by on Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM

they are able to give out "expired" breads and meats because when they get it they freeze it. freezing it extends it's shelf life by a lot.

onecuteladybug2
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 1:21 AM

I help run a food bank in Southern California. I can explain a little about what happens...

We go once a week to a place called "Community Action Partnership." They are the ones that accept "salvage" items that are donated by local grocery stores Monday through Friday. At the meeting we had last week updating us on the USDA regulations for commodites, they told us there were about 50 or so local organizations that are allowed to pick up "salvage" food. Each of those 50 has a specific day that they are allowed to pick up whatever might have been donated that day, and only the first 7 each day actually get any of that food. The food included each week varies a lot. One week we got 4 three gallon containers of Rocky Road ice cream, along with a box of breads and sweets. Other times we'll get 1000 pounds of potatoes (this is actually USDA). We never know what we will have to distribute until we get there.

At our facility we have 8 deep freezes that are empty more often than they are full. We serve over 200 families when we pass out commodities, but with salvage, we can sometimes only help 5 families.

We do our best to look at everything that is donated to be sure that it is still something that we ourselves would be willing to eat. If we see any mold, notice that a package is open, smell anything strange, etc, we throw it out. It's a lot of work to keep a Food Bank running properly. I couldn't believe that amount of paperwork involved when I first started helping. We do our best to help as many families as we can. If we run out of food, we try to direct people to other local giveaways.

We are lucky that there are stores that are even willing to make donations. A few years ago there was a store that would donate all sorts of things, including toilet paper and diapers. They stopped donating when the CAP warehouse complained about the bugs that were being donated along with the goods...

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

ajfairleigh
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 1:59 AM

I have mixed opinions on  this.  I know that freezing items will extend them past their expiration date.  But mold is still mold and usually, at least as far as I know, it doesn't mold frozen.

daiseymae2
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Quoting YuppyMom:

My children volunteered this summer at a food bank a few towns away.  One of their jobs was painting shelves OVER THE FREEZERS.  In the freezers....was bread and milk.  Donated bread and milk can be frozen so that it will not be "bad" past the expiration date.  It is VERY possible that these items had been frozen and then thawed for the immediate use.

This is very true. 

NotToday333
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Wow, I am starting to dislike this "let them eat cake" philosophy people have about the poor.  especially Pandana there. Are you saying that my 4 year old son should be thankful that he gets to eat 2 year old expired spaghetti sauce and moldy bread? because that's exactly what we got the last time we went. I also received a pasta side that was expired in 1998 (I got this just this past winter). I understand that it has a lot to do with donations and rationing, but there has to be a better way.  I am poor, and sometimes I am hungry, but I also do not have a car or health insurance to keep going to the ER everytime I eat food I got from the food bank. And what about my son? like hell if I prepare that crap for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN