Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would happen if you run a dryer without a vent or hook-ups?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM
  • 13 Replies

My dryer arrived today and I am running it without any vent or hook-ups.

by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sexychica25
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM
You run the risk of your home becoming a pile of useless sut, and burned debris.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2twogirls
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM

You house will get really hot and you will have lent EVERY where..

We put panty hose on ours in the winter to help heat it and to help with the moisture..

mommasbabies77
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:55 PM
I had a dryer that we didn't have a vent to the outside. They had it so that we took a bucket and put water in the bottom of it and vented the dryer into the bucket. It worked well..you have to change the water every so often...as far as running it with no vent at all..I wouldn't want that all over my house. Also, I wouldn't do the bucket if I had any other choice or if I had small kids and would never run it when I wasn't home and awake.

You'd probably be better just waiting. There's a risk of fire and stuff, you know?

DoinItMyWay
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM

The same thing that happens when you take a hot shower in a closed bathroom. It gets all hot and muggy and the windows will get all steamed up. My dad runs his without a vent or a hose thing.

wreath

vboatner
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM

This.  I swear I don't know what people were thinking when they built our house(80 yrs ago). But our laundry room is in the middle of the house. No vent out. The bucket thing sucks, but better than the house being filled with lint, or burning down.

Quoting mommasbabies77:

I had a dryer that we didn't have a vent to the outside. They had it so that we took a bucket and put water in the bottom of it and vented the dryer into the bucket. It worked well..you have to change the water every so often...as far as running it with no vent at all..I wouldn't want that all over my house. Also, I wouldn't do the bucket if I had any other choice or if I had small kids and would never run it when I wasn't home and awake.

You'd probably be better just waiting. There's a risk of fire and stuff, you know?

tatar
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Hi  mamas! Our place has no vent as well. Do you think this kind of inddor vent would work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZFTC6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1G9RV23E1R996RRVNNCN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Quoting vboatner:

This.  I swear I don't know what people were thinking when they built our house(80 yrs ago). But our laundry room is in the middle of the house. No vent out. The bucket thing sucks, but better than the house being filled with lint, or burning down.

Quoting mommasbabies77:

DoinItMyWay
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM

See, this doesn't even make sense to me. My dad has been running his dryer with no vent or hose thing for at LEAST the last 10 years, and he doesn't get lint everywhere and I don't even understand how a fire would start....

Quoting vboatner:

Quoting mommasbabies77:

wreath

mamadee1971
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM

There will be lint everywhere, including in your belly button, lol.  Lots of sneezing, too.

tatar
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I kind of started to sneeze lol. I am just tryin out the dryer if it works. But hopefully would have a vent installed soon.

Quoting mamadee1971:

There will be lint everywhere, including in your belly button, lol.  Lots of sneezing, too.

Tea4Tas
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM

It is possible to do so. It adds too much humidity to the air  and can cause rot or mold to surrounding areas.  It would be a disater to do in Florida. It would be doable in the North east in the dry winter time, and doable in any very dry climate-a disaster in any humid climate also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN