Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can a 9 yr old do if they want to volunteer for something? Help!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:34 AM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter wants to volunteer this xmas to help feed people in shelters or something but every shelter I come across has very strict rules about age requirements, 16, 18 or 21 and older. She is even too young to help out at our local animal shelter. Does anyone have any ideas or know of anything she can do? I had the idea to  maybe make sandwiches and take them around to the homeless around town but that could get very expensive for us and we are not rich people. I welcome any ideas!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Have you contacted the nursing homes to see if she can give cookies or small gifts to those who have no family to visit. Some elder just like to look at pictures or have a simple book read to them.

This is a wonderful thing she wants to do. Good job mom!!

ohmybaby
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Have her make cards to send to all your neighbors asking for canned goods for a food shelter or even pet supplies(food, old towels & blanket) for an animal shelter even slippers and socks for a nursing home.  HShe's not too young to take up collections.  Ask your local scout troop.  They do this stuff every year.

mamafor6
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Chrches

Youth centers

Food pantries

lyranightshade
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Way to raise a good girl, momma! You gotta get some props for that! Hmm.. as for being a volunteer, have you thought about her being a candy-striper? I know some hospitals have the 13 and up rule... but you could check it out. It's easy to learn how to pass ice, read, etc. etc. I volunteer for about a decade. Every summer vacation, thirteen hour days, five days a week at our local hospital because I loved doing it. It got to the point where I ended up doing actual job duties...lol

lyranightshade
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Churches might be your best bet. I'm sure they'd LOVE to see a happy-to-help, eager face. Oh! Check out your local Eagles or Elks (whatever animal) lodge. Lots of times they have holiday dinners at the lodges for those who don't have anywhere else to go. Our local Elks is the place to go, no matter what kind of money you have. The dinner is free, and everyone in the whole community gets together for like.. a meet and greet. Everyone has a great time. Places in the area donate food. People donate their time to serve food. And the homeless and underpriveledged go somewhere that doesn't just single them out and make them more depressed on the holidays.

Quoting mamafor6:

Chrches

Youth centers

Food pantries

OrchardAngie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I would also suggest a nursing home or assisted living. I used to work at a very nice home and the residents and staff loved the children making cards and coming in to visit all year long. Ifshe likes to read even simply going in and reading. Contact your local homes and ask to speak with the Activity Director. I am sure she or he would love volunteers this time of year!

Angie Nault
Your Independent LaBella Gift Consultant
http://www.orchardbasketandgift.com/
Ask me about our business opportunity!

nodramamama311
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Thank you all for the ideas and the props! I will check them out, especially the nursing home idea, she loves to read and that would be perfect for her.

Punkie74
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Those are wonderful ideas!! Let us know what you eventually do. As my kids get older I'd like them to do similar things and it would be great to know what works out!! Kudo's to your little girl!!

Melissa6705
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:29 AM

You raised a great kid. Good job and they have wonderful ideas above.

nodramamama311
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM

thank youto you and all of you!

Quoting Melissa6705:

You raised a great kid. Good job and they have wonderful ideas above.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)