Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This how I feel, it may be wrong, not sure though. Your thoughts??

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:53 PM
  • 16 Replies

So due to our recent financial situation we moved into this totally ghetto apt complex, which I happen to like the inside of our apt a lot. By ghetto, I am not referring to anyones race, I mean the financial status of the people here (including us right now), the trash of the grounds ( trash all over the place ) and the many shady characters I see all around. Oddly enough I do not feel unsafe here but here is my dilema. My daughter, who is 9, so badly wants to go outside and play with the kids around here and I do not want her too. They are unsupervised, un-mannered, loud and half the time I see them running around in shorts and t-shirts in this nice 30 degree weather we have been having lately. I do not want her picking up bad habits from them or wanting to go to thier houses or have them over here. Am I wrong for feeling this way? I dont think so but I am sure some of you will disagree. Again I have to make it clear, THIS IS NOT ABOUT RACE, I dont care what color anyone is, I just dont understand why some people let their income be a factor in how much pride they show for where they live and how they parent their children. How can I explain this to my daughter, I dont think I can.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Tell her the truth. 

SweetTea98
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM
I get it, and agree!
nodramamama311
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM

That was my initial thought but I wasnt sure. She is very smart and would probably understand but I still wasnt sure.

Quoting EireLass:

Tell her the truth. 

PhotoMama88
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Quoting SweetTea98:

I get it, and agree!

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I see well to do kids at my dd's school in shorts and it was below zero.  They don't care for one thing.  The kids don't care.  No coats either. 

emilysmom8
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I would have her play outside with the kids, but I would be sitting outside while she is playing... As for going to thier houses just tell her you dont feel comfortable with her going to other peoples houses because you dont know their parents, same thing with having the kids at your house.

Deezeekay
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Exactly!

Quoting emilysmom8:

I would have her play outside with the kids, but I would be sitting outside while she is playing... As for going to thier houses just tell her you dont feel comfortable with her going to other peoples houses because you dont know their parents, same thing with having the kids at your house.

onefootcutiepie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I would let her make friends and have them at my house. If you are such good people, perhaps you could be a good influence. It's selfish to keep yourselves from them.

doublejay38
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM
Are you friggin serious or is this sarcasm? She already described how unmannered and loud the neighborhood kids are. She doesn't want her child picking up those behaviors from them. Even if OP lets these other kids come over to her house, she can only observe and monitor their behavior not change it.

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

I would let her make friends and have them at my house. If you are such good people, perhaps you could be a good influence. It's selfish to keep yourselves from them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doublejay38
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM
I don't think you should lower your standards where raising your kid is concerned just because you are in this temporary situation. It sounds like you have certain expectations from your child as to her behavior, and I wouldn't compromise that if I were you. Tell her the truth. She should understand. There is another little boy about my son's age (5) who lives down the street from us and I refuse to let my son play with him because he is bad. And his mama is a trashy troublemaker who lets the boy have unsupervised free roam of our road. He terrorizes all of us in the neighborhood. He throws rocks and dirt at cars driving by, and twice he has jumped out in front of my car and flipped me off screaming "f#ck you!" which to me it's sad that he is not being taught better than that. My son knows why he's not allowed to play or even associate with the menace and he is only 5yrs old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)