Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any mommys in LAW school out there?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

Im thinking about going to law school but have a 2 yr old.. wondering if its possible.. let me know how it is! thx

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LancesMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:44 PM

BUMP!

Elyce225
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Why wouldn't it be possible? My BIL, my sister (she is now a nurse), and two of my close friends went through law school and said it was really easy.  I'm guessing you already have your Bachelors?  Law school is in high demand right now you have to nearly get a perfect LSAT score (along with your college GPA) to get accepted into a good school. My BIL went to Harvard and my sister went to UPenn, the other two went to no name schools because or their scores.

They all told me that the first year is really boring and that is where they weed all of the people out. The next two years are so so. My BIL graduated number 1 in his class and had a rough start finding a decent job because of the market. His hours were very long and his pay was between 60-65K. The same thing happened with my sister, she went back and got her BSN because unless you work for a big (usually ruthless) firm it will be years before you make money. (I know that money is not everything but remember you will have student loans, a mortgage, and kids etc so you have to consider money). My BIL (after 5 years in the field) finally landed a decent job, he is an IRS lawyer and he makes 100K.

Make sure you are absolutely sure that you want to do it because you really have to work your way up the ladder once you graduate. It's a huge misconception that when you graduate and "if"* you pass the bar you will be making great money. And if you do pass the bar there is a character and fitness evaluation you must take. One of my friends I mentioned was disqualified because he had 5 traffic tickets. It's a lot of work to become one and I know a lot of lawyers who are not satisfied because they can only find a filing clerks job.  This was in Philadelphia/Boston/DC (cities that the economy really hasn't touched.

ETA: Yes it is very possible to go through school with children. I went through and got my BSN with a baby (he was 1 when I started and 4 when I finished).

dana63
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I am not in Law school but in college to gain my PhD in Psychology. I have been going for 3 yrs now and I have a 4 yr old. I think anything is possible if you really want it bad enough.

marisha9982
by on Jan. 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM

wow, thank you so much for your input. Yeah, it's a huge committment and im still thinking about if I want to do it or not....

LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Of course it is possible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)