Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vegetable Oils are categorized as a harmful food

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM
  • 2 Replies

Polyunsaturated oils, which include vegetable oils like corn, soy, linola and canola are beneficial on their own. However, by making them into cooking oils, they are heavily refined and processed, rendering them rancid and toxic. For a long time now, these cooking oils have been mistakenly regarded as the "healthier" choice, but experts have now pointed out that this is a fatal mistake.

After refining and processing, these beneficial oils become oxidized as they get exposed to heat from the processing, resulting in the formation of trans-fat and damaging free radicals (this is a process called hydrogenation).

The truth is, coconut oil which have been regarded as unhealthy is the better choice for cooking. Unlike most unsaturated oils, coconut oil does not turn toxic when cooked.

Other alternatives are virgin (or extra virgin) olive oil for light cooking or sauteing, or grapeseed oil for high heat cooking.

http://www.juicing-for-health.com/harmful-foods.html

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Kenzie_Maher
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:17 AM
Thlanks for the info... Coconut oil doesn't quite have the same taste (or lack thereof) as canola but I will have to try grapeseed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tatar
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:30 AM

I have been using Canola oil but after reading this, I'd try the grape seed as well which was mentioned to be much more healthier and safer on high heat cooking.

Quoting Kenzie_Maher:

Thlanks for the info... Coconut oil doesn't quite have the same taste (or lack thereof) as canola but I will have to try grapeseed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)