Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Secret Smokers

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM
  • 29 Replies

Have you been one? I just heard this on  the radio earlier and I wonder how others hide their smoking habit and to whom they hide it from? Were you able to quit and how? I also heard Obama was a secret smoker and has now finally quit.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robbin74
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I used my willpower to quit... May 9th 2010...People are stronger than they realize. If you take control over your life, you can do anything! And No, I never was a secret smoker...

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Nope, never been a smoker.

JOIN ME IN THE BABIES GROUP!

tatar
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM

conratualtions! my father was a chain smoker, stopped for a few years then went back to smoking again up to this day. He now sufferes from emphysema.

Quoting Robbin74:

I used my willpower to quit... May 9th 2010...People are stronger than they realize. If you take control over your life, you can do anything! And No, I never was a secret smoker...

chalisa0
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Well, Obama wasn't very good at being secret, since it is pretty much common knowledge.  I do not smoke, but my sil tries to pretend like she doesn't-but I've caught her smoking around the side of my house once when I was taking out the garbage.  Lame.

SunnyJoJo
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM

So I smoked for like 5 years and quit cold turkey for 2 years. I got a job and I smoke like 3 cigarettes a week now, only when I'm at work. I hide it from everyone. I keep gum and a little bottle of lotion in my purse so that I can hide the smell. I'm super ashamed of it, which I guess is good because it stops me from just all out smoking again like before. I know I should quit but yeah... I'm a secret smoker.

blue_glass_mama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM

oh you mean cigarettes---LOL

tatar
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

this is what I heard over the radio this morning, one caller was  a secret smoker. One thing she said that you could never hide is the smell of smoke even if you hide it by using a perfume. She said she never realized it until she stopped smoking. You could smell a smoker even if she is a mile away. Funny how the radio host said it to the listeners, you just became a perfume smoker lol.  The other caller was a law student, she said she hides it from her husband who is a dentist but she thinks her husband knows since he always mentions something smells like smoke cigarette.

Quoting SunnyJoJo:

So I smoked for like 5 years and quit cold turkey for 2 years. I got a job and I smoke like 3 cigarettes a week now, only when I'm at work. I hide it from everyone. I keep gum and a little bottle of lotion in my purse so that I can hide the smell. I'm super ashamed of it, which I guess is good because it stops me from just all out smoking again like before. I know I should quit but yeah... I'm a secret smoker.

tatar
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

my sister is a secret smoker as well. After ten years, I found it out...how? FB photo with friends

Quoting chalisa0:

Well, Obama wasn't very good at being secret, since it is pretty much common knowledge.  I do not smoke, but my sil tries to pretend like she doesn't-but I've caught her smoking around the side of my house once when I was taking out the garbage.  Lame.

Robbin74
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Oh gosh, sorry to hear that... I had some issues to that scared the mess out of me...(morning cough, and symptoms of asthma) I smoked for 20+ years. I will never go back to that. I feel so much better now!..

Quoting tatar:

conratualtions! my father was a chain smoker, stopped for a few years then went back to smoking again up to this day. He now sufferes from emphysema.

Quoting Robbin74:

CrunchyCarol
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM

My FIL is a secret smoker, which I find hilarious. You're a grown ass man ffs... He hid it from my MIL & dh for years (or so he thought), now he's remarried and they're both smokers, but he's never smoked in front of me, dh, or the kids.

My sister, I believe, is a secret smoker. We smoked years ago & quit when we started having kids, her dh smokes out on the back porch & she sits out there with him. She says she doesn't smoke, but srsly, an hour later I can still smell it on her breath when she's talking to me. (and that's after brushing~ she's meticulous with her teeth) Not sure why she doesn't understand the smell is in her lungs...

I would love to be a secret smoker, to be perfectly honest here. I miss it terribly on stressful days. I just don't want the health risks, don't want to set a bad example for the kids (who are never really fooled), and just can't afford it anyways!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)