Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex (Not Graphic, I promise)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Which were you given, and which will you give?

Options:

I was taught all and will teach my child all

I was taught all, but will only teach abstinence

I was taught abstinence only and will teach abstinence only

I was taught abstinence only, but will teach all

Other (PLEASE explain)

I wasn't given a talk at all but will teach all

I wasn't given the talk at all, but will teach abstinence only

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

When it comes to the talk... did your parents talk to you about sex? Did they cover all basis or was it abstinence only?

What talk will you have with your child? Will you talk about EVERYTHING, or preach Abstinence only?

**P.S. If I left out an option, please let me know.**

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kim3787
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

You left out other.

My parents really didn't talk to me about sex. They didn't tell me not to have sex at all and they didn't tell me to have safe sex. Hmmm, funny how I became a mom at 17...

LyTe684
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM

LOL I thought about it.. then thought.. what other is there??? But you're right.. I'll add it. :)

Hmm.. good point..

Quoting Kim3787:

You left out other.

My parents really didn't talk to me about sex. They didn't tell me not to have sex at all and they didn't tell me to have safe sex. Hmmm, funny how I became a mom at 17...

LiesLiesLies
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I will talk about everything...I was not talked to...but my parents were idiots anyways....

CountryStrong84
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

my sister pretty much taught me everything. I knew my parents expected me to not have sex. So I didnt.

iluv2meow
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

My teen is fifteen I started doing the talk in fifth grade about kissing, then worked my way up to things I know she knows and added more information each year. I do feel that parents that bomb young preteens with too much makes them uncomfortable and on the spot. That was one thing I really did not want to do. My mother did that and it really made me uncomfortable doing the FULL talk all in one day and then walked away. I felt too uncomfortable talking to her about it.

I found my method worked wonderfully, we not only talk about sex with her, but about what she knows of kids at school that have had sex and talk even further about that. KEY here is I will ask her... So do you know anyone that had sex? She will say ya, so and so. I will say well what do you think about that? She will say, I think she is too young and its crazy. Then i will ask what to OTHERS think about that? She will tell me people call her a hoe or whatever.

Fact is I dont preach at her, I ask her what she thinks about it after we talk about it, after bringing in the new or old topics about sex.

When she got her first real boyfriend last year (no she isnt allowed to date yet but I cant stop her from having BF at school) we talked relationships. I think it is important that we the parents not only talk about sex but the resoponsibility of relationships. I also talked to her about, what could or may happen if the relationship doesnt work out. The risk she adds if he should break up with her and she gives him sex. Ironicly she and the boy did not get along well after a year of dating and he broke up with her and indeed got revengeful and spread nasty rumors about her, not sex wise just telling people she was a BITCH. This hurt her, we talked about it, I just remind her this is why I think she should wait. They might be in love now but she has to remember they are teens they dont always think about what they are saying about others how much it hurts and the last thing she wants is, rumors how she put out.

Now Im not saying it will stop her from having sex, but I think it gets her thinking. She has thanked me for being real with her not just about sex but about life, relationships, marriage, me and her daddy, seeing how we struggle and how relationship actually become work after awhile.

She also gets talked to about the bases LOL. Going from first, second, home.... Yes once you give it the boy wants more. Dont give unless you plan on giving more because boys dont like doing it once and then not doing it again.

Like I said, Im real with my daughter. I dont just do the basics. My job is to prepare her for LIFE, not just give her TOOLS.

rissarin
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM
I don't really remember having the talk with my parents but I knew of all and will teach all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RyansMommy6407
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:46 PM

My mom told me everything and was very open and honest. She didnt' get mad or judge me when I told her I was having sex, she just got me on the pill, and I plan to do the same.

MrsM121
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:48 PM

My kids know all options.

LyTe684
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM

That's a very good way to do it. :) you rock

Quoting iluv2meow:

My teen is fifteen I started doing the talk in fifth grade about kissing, then worked my way up to things I know she knows and added more information each year. I do feel that parents that bomb young preteens with too much makes them uncomfortable and on the spot. That was one thing I really did not want to do. My mother did that and it really made me uncomfortable doing the FULL talk all in one day and then walked away. I felt too uncomfortable talking to her about it.

I found my method worked wonderfully, we not only talk about sex with her, but about what she knows of kids at school that have had sex and talk even further about that. KEY here is I will ask her... So do you know anyone that had sex? She will say ya, so and so. I will say well what do you think about that? She will say, I think she is too young and its crazy. Then i will ask what to OTHERS think about that? She will tell me people call her a hoe or whatever.

Fact is I dont preach at her, I ask her what she thinks about it after we talk about it, after bringing in the new or old topics about sex.

When she got her first real boyfriend last year (no she isnt allowed to date yet but I cant stop her from having BF at school) we talked relationships. I think it is important that we the parents not only talk about sex but the resoponsibility of relationships. I also talked to her about, what could or may happen if the relationship doesnt work out. The risk she adds if he should break up with her and she gives him sex. Ironicly she and the boy did not get along well after a year of dating and he broke up with her and indeed got revengeful and spread nasty rumors about her, not sex wise just telling people she was a BITCH. This hurt her, we talked about it, I just remind her this is why I think she should wait. They might be in love now but she has to remember they are teens they dont always think about what they are saying about others how much it hurts and the last thing she wants is, rumors how she put out.

Now Im not saying it will stop her from having sex, but I think it gets her thinking. She has thanked me for being real with her not just about sex but about life, relationships, marriage, me and her daddy, seeing how we struggle and how relationship actually become work after awhile.

She also gets talked to about the bases LOL. Going from first, second, home.... Yes once you give it the boy wants more. Dont give unless you plan on giving more because boys dont like doing it once and then not doing it again.

Like I said, Im real with my daughter. I dont just do the basics. My job is to prepare her for LIFE, not just give her TOOLS.

chalisa0
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM

My parents were hippies and told me waaaay more about sex than a kid needs to know.  Yes, I was taught everything and have taught my kids about the general basics including birth control-and I have told them if there is ever a smidgeon of a chance that they might have sex to tell me and we'll get birth control (even though I really really really prefer that they are abstinent-it's the only full-proof birth control).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)