Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby talk

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM
  • 19 Replies
Do you baby talk to your little ones? If so, at what age do you stop and at what age do you begin correcting their speech?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyTe684
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Ugh. I HATE it. I got into plenty of arguments about my dad using baby talk with my son. He has the WORST baby talk EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Nope. We never did and as a result they both have vocabulary's well beyond their peers.

We don't dumb down our talk either. At 3 years old my daughter knew how to say and use correctly the word "antagonize".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state ed departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

SLGross215
by Sarah on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Same here.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Nope. We never did and as a result they both have vocabulary's well beyond their peers.

We don't dumb down our talk either. At 3 years old my daughter knew how to say and use correctly the word "antagonize".

shedswife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Same. I'm babysitting my nephew today who is 4 and still says wawa for water because my brother and sil continue to say it. Its driving me nuts. Even my 2 year old said "its water".

Quoting SLGross215:

Same here.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Yeah. That would drive me crazy. I was never a fan of baby talk, even before I had kids, it always bugged me.

Quoting shedswife:

Same. I'm babysitting my nephew today who is 4 and still says wawa for water because my brother and sil continue to say it. Its driving me nuts. Even my 2 year old said "its water".

Quoting SLGross215:

Same here.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state ed departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

LyTe684
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

No lie.. I know a grown woman that talks like that... to this day. And it's not 'sometimes'... she talks baby talk 100% of the time. I REFUSE to talk to her.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Yeah. That would drive me crazy. I was never a fan of baby talk, even before I had kids, it always bugged me.

Quoting shedswife:

Quoting SLGross215:

Same here.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Toomsie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Quoting LyTe684:

Ugh. I HATE it. I got into plenty of arguments about my dad using baby talk with my son. He has the WORST baby talk EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be too hard on your dad, I'm totally against using baby talk but I'm sure your dad occasionally talking to the baby like that won't have permanent consequences, but you may hurt your dad's feelings - he's obviously very in love with his grandson :D 

I won't do it personally - no need to dumb down your kids. There's a difference between sweet talk and dumb talk. I don't know if I'm describing it the right way...anyhow - complete words and phrases thank you very much, if you want to sound like Elmer Fudd however, it's totally up to you.

LyTe684
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I would try to let it pass... but he would ONLY talk baby talk... after the first HOUR it got annoying. lol But I do see your point. BTW, DS is going to five.. he still tries it though.

LMAO @ the Elmer Fudd comment.

Quoting Toomsie:

Quoting LyTe684:

Don't be too hard on your dad, I'm totally against using baby talk but I'm sure your dad occasionally talking to the baby like that won't have permanent consequences, but you may hurt your dad's feelings - he's obviously very in love with his grandson :D 

I won't do it personally - no need to dumb down your kids. There's a difference between sweet talk and dumb talk. I don't know if I'm describing it the right way...anyhow - complete words and phrases thank you very much, if you want to sound like Elmer Fudd however, it's totally up to you.

Aamy
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Nope. We never did it with our DD and won't with DS . It's not good for them. How are they supposed to talk normally if you talk to them that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tatar
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM

yes until now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)