Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shades of Green...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

I guess because we are staying there we cant do the Disney Dining plan.

So on average how much do the sit down restaurants cost?

Is it like Olive Garden? More expensive? Less?

On average how much is a kids meal? An adult meal?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punkie74
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

If you go to the Disney vacations web site most of the restaurants have menus you can look at :-)

unique_puzzle
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM

We are planning to stay there early this summer, so BUMP

bamababe1975
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I'd check out the restaurants' websites and see, or maybe call the locations in the area? I'm sure it varies depending on season and such, too. 

yasbobari
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Quoting Punkie74:

If you go to the Disney vacations web site most of the restaurants have menus you can look at :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvmypreemies
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM
Check the dis boards. I found some old posts of people just budgetting meals. They are really helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caseykassidy
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I personally don't care for Shades of Green. Did you look to see what your military discount is at another Disney hotel? You should get 40% off a deluxe, 30% off a mod or 20% off a value. If you get 30% off a mod it's the same price as Shades and you get to use the Magical Express from the airport and can add military dining on to your package. We are going in May and staying at the Beach Club for $207 a night with the discount.

iluvmypreemies
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM
We won't be needing the magical express since we won't be flying can you tell me what about Shades you didn't like? We have lots of things planned and do not plan to be in our room to much.

Quoting caseykassidy:

I personally don't care for Shades of Green. Did you look to see what your military discount is at another Disney hotel? You should get 40% off a deluxe, 30% off a mod or 20% off a value. If you get 30% off a mod it's the same price as Shades and you get to use the Magical Express from the airport and can add military dining on to your package. We are going in May and staying at the Beach Club for $207 a night with the discount.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caseykassidy
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Shades is a lovely hotel, there is not a thing wrong with it, but for me, it just doesn't feel like "Disney". Other than the fact that one of the pools is shaped like a Mickey head, there is really no other indication that you are on Disney property when you are at the resort. If you don't care about that kind of thing it wouldn't be an issue, but for us, when we go, our resort is part of our overall experience. We like to feel like we are immersed in Disney magic the whole time. If it's the same price to stay at a moderate or we can get a great rate on a deluxe we'll do that instead. Plus, we fly from Seattle when we go and don't rent a car so the magical express is a massive plus for us, that cab ride from the airport is killer.

The property around Shades is quite lovely and the rooms are huge though, those are major bonuses. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, it is Disney World after all. :-) Shades just isn't the resort for us, especially if I could stay at the French Quarter for the same rate. We stayed at the Poly on our last trip and are staying Beach Club in May and I cannot wait!!!

Quoting iluvmypreemies:

We won't be needing the magical express since we won't be flying can you tell me what about Shades you didn't like? We have lots of things planned and do not plan to be in our room to much.

Quoting caseykassidy:

iluvmypreemies
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM
I looked at the Polly I have heard great things about it.

Thanks for letting me know I just wanted to make sure it was an ok place just to stay.

I might double check on the Polly since I have heard you can walk from shades to the Polly ( a little hike) to catch the monorail instead of waiting for the buses.

Can you tell me is parking included when you stay at the poly? ( if we wanted to drive to MK or AK etc)

Quoting caseykassidy:

Shades is a lovely hotel, there is not a thing wrong with it, but for me, it just doesn't feel like "Disney". Other than the fact that one of the pools is shaped like a Mickey head, there is really no other indication that you are on Disney property when you are at the resort. If you don't care about that kind of thing it wouldn't be an issue, but for us, when we go, our resort is part of our overall experience. We like to feel like we are immersed in Disney magic the whole time. If it's the same price to stay at a moderate or we can get a great rate on a deluxe we'll do that instead. Plus, we fly from Seattle when we go and don't rent a car so the magical express is a massive plus for us, that cab ride from the airport is killer.

The property around Shades is quite lovely and the rooms are huge though, those are major bonuses. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, it is Disney World after all. :-) Shades just isn't the resort for us, especially if I could stay at the French Quarter for the same rate. We stayed at the Poly on our last trip and are staying Beach Club in May and I cannot wait!!!

Quoting iluvmypreemies:

Quoting caseykassidy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caseykassidy
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM

One of the perks to staying at one of the Disney owned hotels is free parking at both the hotel and the parks. :-) Don't quote me on this, but I think I read on the Disboards that you now have to pay to park at the parks if you stay at Shades, I remember people being up in arms about something of that nature about a year ago.

I can't say enough about the Polynesian, it's fabulous and will ruin you for all other Disney resorts, LOL. For transportation purposes it is the most convenient place to stay on property because of the monorail and boat launch options, plus, it's right next to the TTC, it's about a 7 minute walk from the farthest longhouse. So if you don't want to wait on the resort bus to/from the parks, which stops at all three deluxe resorts around the lagoon, you can just use the bus to/from the TTC which comes more frequently and only makes the one stop. Its a blessing.

There are little golf cart like curteosy vehicles that will take you from the lobby at Shades out to the gate so you could cross the street to go to the Poly to eat and/or catch the monorail, but it is still quite a hike if you have little ones. It isn't what I would call convenient, but it works.

The one advantage that Shades has over the other resorts is the little AAFES/NEX type store in the lobby where you can get stuff much cheaper than the resort stores, like beer and water and whatnot. Although this time I have decided we are ordering from Garden Grocer and getting beer, water, and snacks delivered to our room to put in the fridge so we have them handy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)