Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you work outside the home with your first pregnancy?

Options:

Yes, full time days

Yes, full time nights/shift work

Yes, part time days/nights

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

My SIL is pg, due in Sept.  She has always worked shift work.  I can't imagine how exhausted she is right now at 3 mos pg. 

SHe's a plant manager for a power company.  The last couple weeks she's worked 4-12 hour day shifts in a row and went right into a 5 day 12 hour night shift(6pm - 6am) .

Do you remember how exhaused you are the first few months?  THis is her first and I feel so sorry for her.  

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steveiguana
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:28 AM

was on bedrest almost the whole time

Butter331
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Aww poor thing, it is so hard.  I worked graveyards while I was preggo with DS. I had a couple of nights in the beginning and at the end where I actually nodded off. Ugh.

ninipanini
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:32 AM

I can just imagine! 

My brother said she was in tears when she got home yesterday morning because she was soooo tired.  She's a tough girl, too.  I'd like to take her something this weekend while she's off, but I think she probably just wants to rest, poor girl.

Quoting Butter331:

Aww poor thing, it is so hard.  I worked graveyards while I was preggo with DS. I had a couple of nights in the beginning and at the end where I actually nodded off. Ugh.

yourpassion
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:36 AM

awe...can you take her a meal (or is that what you meant?). 

i was not working when i got pg with my son.  i could sleep when i wanted and nothing phased me.  it was really nice!  i can't imagine being pg and working, i think it would have killed me.  although i have to say, i think God had a plan because if i was still working dh and i might not have survived hahaha...kidding, but i know i wouldn't have been fun to be around.

when i was pg with my daughter and taking care of my son, that was hard!  i was tired all the time!!!!

Quoting ninipanini:

I can just imagine! 

My brother said she was in tears when she got home yesterday morning because she was soooo tired.  She's a tough girl, too.  I'd like to take her something this weekend while she's off, but I think she probably just wants to rest, poor girl.

Quoting Butter331:

ninipanini
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:39 AM

That's what I was thinking.

When I was pg with ds, I worked full time, but it was days and an office job.  I was home by 430 to take a nap each day, LOL.

I was a sahm by the time I was pg with dd so I was tired all the time. Naps were non-existent.  DS had given them up and well newborns are notorious for sucking the life out of us, LOL.

Quoting yourpassion:

awe...can you take her a meal (or is that what you meant?). 

i was not working when i got pg with my son.  i could sleep when i wanted and nothing phased me.  it was really nice!  i can't imagine being pg and working, i think it would have killed me.  although i have to say, i think God had a plan because if i was still working dh and i might not have survived hahaha...kidding, but i know i wouldn't have been fun to be around.

when i was pg with my daughter and taking care of my son, that was hard!  i was tired all the time!!!!

Quoting ninipanini:

I can just imagine! 

Quoting Butter331:

LyTe684
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:53 AM

I worked with my first... and I'm working with this one...

ninipanini
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM

How are you feeling?

The reason I specified "first pregnancy" is because no one can possible prepare us for it.  People tell you how theirs went, etc, but we're so excited about it, then the fatigue sets in and pretty much whips our asses, LOL.

I remember thinking "Cheese and rice is this how I'm going to feel the whole time?"

Quoting LyTe684:

Elyce225
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM

I was in 12th grade with a newborn. I went to school full time and had a part time job. I was so tired.

My second one I didn't work or go to school. There is an 8 year difference in between them though. I was 4 months pregnant with my second when I found out I was pregnant again. I was so tired but I would nap with my 4 month old. When the third one came that was hard because she was a newborn and I had a 14 month old ball of energy. Luckily I got them on the same napping schedule and I would sleep when they did. They are still on that schedule and I still take naps every day.

Your poor SIL, I think you taking a meal over is an awesome idea. It's one less thing she has to do. Ugh the first trimester all I did was sleep and throw up.

LyTe684
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM

With my first... it had it's ups and downs. There were a few days that I literally was forced to call in.. because being stubborn ol' me.. I got up to get ready for work and kept falling out. The worst thing for me during pregnancy #1 was laundry. The heat from it almost made me fall out. To this day, DH still handles the laundry for me. lol

This pregnancy harder on me.. but there's no reason for me to stay home. DS is in school, DH is at work... and I'm stubborn enough to NOT get any rest... It's definitely more exhausting when you have one (or more) at home to care for on top of the one you're carrying.

Quoting ninipanini:

How are you feeling?

The reason I specified "first pregnancy" is because no one can possible prepare us for it.  People tell you how theirs went, etc, but we're so excited about it, then the fatigue sets in and pretty much whips our asses, LOL.

I remember thinking "Cheese and rice is this how I'm going to feel the whole time?"

Quoting LyTe684:

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I worked full time days, 9 to 5:30.  I kept working till my dd was 2 years old.  We moved and I quit, got pregnant and had my 2nd.  I was tired.  I came home, went fixed dinner, ate and fell asleep when I was pregnant.  Lots of women work and you just do it.  You don't realize when you are at work how tired you are. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)