Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what dog breed do you recommend if you have kids? piog

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM
  • 48 Replies
We have 2 lil ones and are wanting to get a dog.. they love them! Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM

How little are your kids?

yasbobari
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:36 AM
They are 2 and 1 yr old :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Budlady
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Depends on how much room u have how old your kids are ect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Depends on your lifestyle, too.

Do you work a lot? Or do you stay home? Will you be able to dedicate a lot of time and energy to exercise your animal? Or only a small amount of time? Will you be tying the animal up when it's outside or do you have a fenced in yard?

I suggest doing a ton of research before bringing any animal into your home. Especially when it comes to a dog.

We have a German Shepherd pup (6 months old) who is amazing with our 5 and 3 year old children. But German Shepherds need a LOT of exercise, attention and discipline. You can't just tie them up in a yard, either.

Good luck!

funmommy123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Maltese.they don't shed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Quoting danie24:

Depends on your lifestyle, too.

Do you work a lot? Or do you stay home? Will you be able to dedicate a lot of time and energy to exercise your animal? Or only a small amount of time? Will you be tying the animal up when it's outside or do you have a fenced in yard?

I suggest doing a ton of research before bringing any animal into your home. Especially when it comes to a dog.

We have a German Shepherd pup (6 months old) who is amazing with our 5 and 3 year old children. But German Shepherds need a LOT of exercise, attention and discipline. You can't just tie them up in a yard, either.

Good luck!

We have enough room inside and our backyard is fenced. We would not have it to just tie it up.
BlessedToBMommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I'm VERY partial to labs, but for a smaller dog we've had great experience with yorkies and beagles, pugs are pretty good too. but if you can get a large dog, go with a lab!!!

Budlady
Lab, retrivers are good baby sitters i had a doberman when my son was small he passed away when my son was 15 they were inseperatable all those yrs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas

You have enough poop in your life...I would wait untl the kids were older. I can't imagine having to supervise 2 kids under the age of 2 AND a dog.

It's hard enough watching 2 kids-let alone 2 kids and a dog.  And if it's a puppy? Puppies chew-and those kids aren't old enough to stow toys, shoes etc etc....

A.Perry

For any home with kids, I recommend an American Pit Bull Terrier. (aka, pit bull) Yes, I know they get a bad rap, but if you get one as a young dog, or one from a shelter that has gone through testing to see if the dog is aggressive, they are great dogs. We have had ours for several years, and our boys love him to pieces. My youngest is autistic and will try to ride the dog like a small horse. and the dog will just sit down and my boy kind of slides off. We have nevewr had an issue with our pit bull, ever. Now, I know that some places don't allow that breed, but, if you live where they are allowed, I would look into that breed. Mine is protective, but not to the point that no one can come over. Do a search online about them, they really are great with kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)