Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and Technology

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM
  • 27 Replies

At what age will your kids be able to have electronics like a cell phone and lap top?

If your kids already have these things, how old were they when they first got them?

DH and I were having this discussion earlier on the way to work. We say a young kid walking to school, chatting on his cell phone.

To which DH says it's normal.. that this is the new fad and that DS will have one soon. To which I replied: My Ass!

He's only FOUR. Where the hell is he going to be that he would need a cell phone anytime soon?

He says that most schools are trying to go that route. Which is true. I think we discussed that in this group before. He says that probably by 9-10 years of age DS will either have or ask for his own cell and laptop. 

Hey, just because he can ask for something, or because it's the new fad, doesn't mean he'll get it.

My brother got a cell phone at a young age, but it was for a good reason. There would have to be a damn good reason for DS to have a cell phone in Elementary school. And a laptop? No. We have a desktop. Why would he need more at that age (when he gets to that age that is. lol)

So, what are your thoughts?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

my daughter was 4-5 when she got a cell phone. she was in alot of activities as well as goes to her dads on the weekend so bought one so i could get ahold of her. She also has autism and the phone helped her feel safe enough to leave me during dance or what not knowing she could call me if she had too. my kids have had there own desk top since my oldest was 5 (shes 7 now) she just got a lap top last month but can only use it for school. They need to still share the desk top for games. My son who will b 4 in a few months is now to the point where i let him on the computer without anyone else helping him.

today I can say I just sat back and was greatful for having the greatest kids I could ask for. I am going to worry less and love a little more. I am going to stop counting the minutes till bed time and start counting the minutes till good night kisses. I am going to stop crying and start laughing. I know together this family can move mountains one rock at a time
LyTe684
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Do you have limited Internet access on their computer[s]?

I totally understand the cell phone in your situation.

My son does know how to use a computer.. they have a computer lab at school..

Quoting hailnbray:

my daughter was 4-5 when she got a cell phone. she was in alot of activities as well as goes to her dads on the weekend so bought one so i could get ahold of her. She also has autism and the phone helped her feel safe enough to leave me during dance or what not knowing she could call me if she had too. my kids have had there own desk top since my oldest was 5 (shes 7 now) she just got a lap top last month but can only use it for school. They need to still share the desk top for games. My son who will b 4 in a few months is now to the point where i let him on the computer without anyone else helping him.

hailnbray
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

no. the younger one has his websites saved to the desk top that he enjoys to play. My older one mainly goes on nick and listens to the music. We dont sensor anything. They dont even know about things like chatrooms and facebook. the computer is in the toyroom. sometimes the play on it alot other times they dont use it for weeks at a time.

Quoting LyTe684:

Do you have limited Internet access on their computer[s]?

I totally understand the cell phone in your situation.

My son does know how to use a computer.. they have a computer lab at school..

Quoting hailnbray:

today I can say I just sat back and was greatful for having the greatest kids I could ask for. I am going to worry less and love a little more. I am going to stop counting the minutes till bed time and start counting the minutes till good night kisses. I am going to stop crying and start laughing. I know together this family can move mountains one rock at a time
kittymeri
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

my kids can have these things when they turn 18 and can get a job and pay for it themselves. until then they can ask hit or miss to use mine.

but we do have an old computer not connected to the internet that we buy kid games for and they have very very limited access to the interner and the gaming consoles, and this will stay the same until they can buy their own as well.

when they go to school they can use my laptop with me sitting next to them to write papers and research but that is it.

danie24
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

My kids have a Wii, DS, digital camera and use our Laptop computer every day.

We might get our daughter her own Laptop for her birthday this summer. She's 5.

There is no need for them to have a cell phone. They're only 5 and 3. Maybe if they end up going to public school someday I might get one of those child friendly phones that only have 3-5 phone numbers (plus 911) programmed into them so they can call home or other family members, etc. in case of an emergency. But they can't make any other outgoing phone calls or go on the Internet, etc.

yourpassion
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM

yeah, i don't know about the cell phone thing that young.  or their own laptop...i think our old desktop will work until they need something faster or it won't do something when they need to do homework (in several years).  they are only 5 and 3.

but my kids have tons of electronic games (wii, ds, leapster, vtech notebook, etc).  they use our laptops (well, mine.  dh won't let them touch his).  we do have a desktop for them in storage, we just don't have room for it right now in this apt.  but when we were in the house, they would play their pbs games, nickjr, etc on it.  it was set up in the front livingroom. 

they don't know about anything else, heck they cant' read!  so my son knows what icons are his games.  he plays, my daughter is learning.

but i'm interested in hearing at what age they get a phone.  i know some of my friends' kids were 13 or older.  my nephew wanted one at 11 and my SIL said no.

LyTe684
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

My son has a Leapster too. The Explorer... and a V Tech V Reader. He loves them. Oh my son loves the Wii too. I love when he tries to do the aerobics with me. lol

Quoting yourpassion:

yeah, i don't know about the cell phone thing that young.  or their own laptop...i think our old desktop will work until they need something faster or it won't do something when they need to do homework (in several years).  they are only 5 and 3.

but my kids have tons of electronic games (wii, ds, leapster, vtech notebook, etc).  they use our laptops (well, mine.  dh won't let them touch his).  we do have a desktop for them in storage, we just don't have room for it right now in this apt.  but when we were in the house, they would play their pbs games, nickjr, etc on it.  it was set up in the front livingroom. 

they don't know about anything else, heck they cant' read!  so my son knows what icons are his games.  he plays, my daughter is learning.

but i'm interested in hearing at what age they get a phone.  i know some of my friends' kids were 13 or older.  my nephew wanted one at 11 and my SIL said no.

LyTe684
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I agree with that too. My son is in private school. I can and have always been able to be in contact with him, his teacher or owner/principal whenever I want. So as long as he's in this school (goes up to grade 5) I don't see a reason for a cell phone... yet....

Quoting danie24:

My kids have a Wii, DS, digital camera and use our Laptop computer every day.

We might get our daughter her own Laptop for her birthday this summer. She's 5.

There is no need for them to have a cell phone. They're only 5 and 3. Maybe if they end up going to public school someday I might get one of those child friendly phones that only have 3-5 phone numbers (plus 911) programmed into them so they can call home or other family members, etc. in case of an emergency. But they can't make any other outgoing phone calls or go on the Internet, etc.

yourpassion
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:20 PM

hahaha...my son figured out how to do all the wii fit games.  he loves those.  at least one person in our house uses it!

Quoting LyTe684:

My son has a Leapster too. The Explorer... and a V Tech V Reader. He loves them. Oh my son loves the Wii too. I love when he tries to do the aerobics with me. lol

Quoting yourpassion:

LyTe684
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM

The funniest is him trying to do the hula hoop. LOL!!!! No wait. It's funnier when DH does it. lol

Quoting yourpassion:

hahaha...my son figured out how to do all the wii fit games.  he loves those.  at least one person in our house uses it!

Quoting LyTe684:

Quoting yourpassion:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)