Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it normal

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM
  • 8 Replies

for a newborn to seem like she is really straining to have a BM?  It's liquid, so it isn't constipation.  She just balls into a ball, cries, turns red, and seems like she is straining, and then poops.  Goes right back to normal after, but it seems like it is so hard for her to poop. 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Vivaine
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:14 AM

It can still be constipation if it's liquid. It could also be gas. It could be something you are eating if you are BF or the formula if she's formula fed.

kitty8199
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:18 AM

anything i can do to ease it for her?

Vivaine
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM

You can try those gas drops, eat less gassy food if you are bf or switch formula. If it's not gassy food you're eating, try to see if there is any consistency with the foods you eat and how often the straining occurs and take that food out of your diet because it could be causing consitpation.

Elyssa414
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM
My son was like that when he pooped but it was really hard poop. We had to use glycerin suppositories. Have you tried mylicon drops? Also warm baths and laying on her back and bicycling her legs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishDuckie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:28 AM

My daughters both did it. We used some gas drops as a PP mentioned.

kitty8199
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM

i have some mylicon.  Ive been eating lots of veggies, andsnaking on wheat thins.  i can do they bicycle thing butshe still has the umbillical cord, so no baths,

Sexyfox09
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM

my baby was like this starting at a week old  the doctor said she was "being dramatic" while pooping

IrishDuckie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Are you BF? Is it possible she's lactose intolerant?

Quoting kitty8199:

i have some mylicon.  Ive been eating lots of veggies, andsnaking on wheat thins.  i can do they bicycle thing butshe still has the umbillical cord, so no baths,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)