Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Great Dane owners?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
My husband and I just welcomed a Great Dane puppy(12 weeks old) to our family. We named him Zeus! He's such a lover. He loves our boys so dearly. We are training him and he's very receptive and taking it in very fast. We are just having one problem area... The stairs. He's okay going up but coming down in the mornings to pee is our battle. He gets scared of the stairs and also if hubby picks him up to go down and pees O.o We have no other way outside but stairs. Also he gets really upset when we even walk out of the room. We were putting the boys to bed last night and gated him off from the steps so we didn't have to have another stair fiasco coming down and he whined and barked and jumped up on the gate. He's never alone at home by himself unless absolutely necessary but either my husband or I are always home with him. Any ways to help with the stairs and also the anxiety of being alone for 5 minutes(lol) I guess maybe we need to leave for an hour or so every few days to show him it's normal and ok? We just got him so we know it's definitely going to take good training and lots of time and dedication- but any useful tips, tricks and advice would be so awesome :) we love our gentle giant! I will post his pic in comments since I'm mobile :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishDuckie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Have you tried leading him down the stairs with a treat?

sarahbearamommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahbearamommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Yes he does okay to a point but he's scared to death :( i think we just have to be repetitive and work work work. I just feel terrible he gets so scared he pees :(

Quoting IrishDuckie:

Have you tried leading him down the stairs with a treat?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahbearamommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahbearamommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Sorry they're upside down.. Mobile never sends them right ways up. Grr lol but that's Zeus..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM

He's adorable. I have a 16 week old mix, we've had him since 8 weeks old. It took him a few days, but he got used to the family routine.

Diesel is crate trained. But as with anything consistency is key.

yasbobari
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM

He's beautiful!  and he will learn the stairs if you keep making him.  We have a mastiff and he was also all legs and very gangly as a puppy.  He had no problem climbing UP on anything, including the dining room table (yes standing in the middle of it) but then couldn't figure out how to get down.  He runs up and down the steps now with ease and leaps in and out of the back of my Suburban like he was born to it.

You have to start leaving him for short periods so he gets used to you coming and going.  Either crate him, or gate him off safely, and then go out - even for 10 minutes at first if you just go outside - and then come back.  You  need to start this right away so he does not develop severe separation anxiety. 

madcrazymom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM
We have Danes, and never had problem with stairs. Try putting treats ever 5 stairs or so and see if he will go down that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahbearamommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM
Thanks for all the great advice everybody!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)