Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sexual Preference Chemical Found in Mice!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM
  • 4 Replies

A chemical in the brain controls sexual preference in mice, according to scientists in China.

alt text
Serotonin controls a male mouse's choice of partner

Male mice bred without serotonin lose their preference for females, a report in Nature says.

The researchers say it is the first time that a neurotransmitter has been shown to play a role in sexual preference in mammals.

Experts have warned about the dangers of drawing conclusions about human sexuality.

The research team first bred male mice whose brains were not receptive to serotonin.

A series of experiments demonstrated that these mice had lost the preference for females shown by unmodified males.

When presented with a choice of partners, they showed no overall preference for either males or females.

When just a male was introduced into the cage, the modified males were far more likely to mount the male and emit a "mating call" normally given off when encountering females than unmodified males were.

Similar results were achieved when a different set of mice were bred. These lacked the tryptonphan hydroxylase 2 gene, which is needed to produce serotonin.

However, a preference for females could be "restored" by injecting serotonin into the brain.

The report concludes: "Serotonergic signalling is crucial for male sexual preference in mice. This is the first time, to our knowledge, that a neurotransmitter in the brain has been demonstrated to be important in mammalian sexual preference."

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/608026-sexual-preference-chemical-found-in-mice

Nature made us--nature did it all--not the gods of the religions.--

Thomas A. Edison

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
yasbobari
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:18 PM
Interesting!
sharebearII
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Quoting yasbobari:

Interesting!

Yepper!

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM

omg i bet the NC would have a hay day with this LMFAO!

Satiblue
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

serotonin is a neurotransmittor. if any creatures levels are too low, they lose sex drive period wether they are gay or straight. it has nothing to do, as far as i know, with sexual preference. its just not that type of brain chemical. where is the actual science of this. of course if they are low in this they wont have a sex drive towards the females, heck towards anything. I simply don't believe anyting being presented in this article as being scientific or even based on actual research. they also seem to skip a huge part of the explanation when they explain that first the low/no serotonin mice have no sexual preference then say they tried mounting males. it makes no sense. wow, i wonder how much this "scientist" bilked the China government for for these supposed experiments? LOL i almost wanna laugh myself to death right now if i didnt feel sad that some folks will read this and take it seriously. 

i'm not bi-polar, I'm bi-winning. charlie sheen

WTF drugs is he on and can i have some too?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)