Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too much info out there...

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:18 AM
  • 3 Replies

I recently stumbled through this blog http://hvoorhees.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/remember-when-we-used-to-forget/

and it got me thinking... I have a facebook page, but limit who can see what.... and the thought keeps entering my mind... once something is posted - it can never be brought back and deleted... ANYWHERE!

A few years back when I was a sahm - i was a cafemom member.  I made some great friends and got tons of wonderful advise.  At the time we were going through an emotionally charged time when I was trying to adopt my (step)daughter and her Biomom who had been non-existant in my daughters life for the 5 years she's been alive all of the sudden wanted my husband to drop the 10K+ she owed in ChildSupport or she was going to contest it.  Well, although she has 2 legs, she had nothing to stand on.  One day I wrote a journal entry on my CM page (which was private to only my CM friends) about my frustration.  A few years later I googled  my own name and there it was.... that journal entry.... staring me in the face for any potential empoyer to find by a simple google search of my name...  I was devistated.

I wrote to the team at CM, and they kindly deleted it.  But the fact of the matter is... it's there... lurking somewhere in internet land....

I'm reluctant to post pictures and give too much information, but this is supposed to be a place to share and support and embrace all moms.... how can that happen if we can't share what's REALLY going on.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MIA0223
by Michelle on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:29 AM
I never share my full name online, and until my recent screen name switch people only knew me by my nickname, Isra, most people here still know me by that. I dont know why people make such a big deal out of stuff like that. Who cares if a "future employer" sees! If they are going to judge you for reaching out for support, maybe thats not the people I would want to work for!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsM121
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I totally agree.  My husband is very set in his mind about what I can and can not put on the internet.  I am not allowed to put any pictures of our children here on CM because he doesn't trust the security of this site and when I put some on FB for friends and family to see he about went through the roof.  Pretty much for the same reasons you posted.

yasbobari
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:41 AM
These are public forums, you have to be careful on what you post just like anything on the internet. Thanks for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)