Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom kills herself and 3 children.

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM
  • 32 Replies

A mother and three of her children drowned late Tuesday after she drove her minivan with everyone inside into the Hudson River, but not before first letting out a fourth child who ran for help, the Times Herald Record reports.

Police say the incident is apparently related to a domestic dispute at a home near the river in Newburgh, N.Y., which is about 60 miles north of New York City.

Divers found the unidentified woman, her two boys, ages 5 and 2, and an 11-month-old girl inside the vehicle in 10 feet of water about 25 feet from the shore. The family lived in a house about six blocks from the scene.

The tragedy occurred in a quiet section of the waterfront near a floating restaurant that was still closed for the winter, the Hudson Valley newspaper says.

Police say the woman drove the vehicle off a boat ramp after letting her 10-year-old son out. The boy ran to a nearby fire station to alert firefighters, the Associated Press reports.

"It's a horrible sight, all of them in the car," said City of Newburgh police Chief Michael Ferrara.

Ferrara said the incident was apparently related to an incident earlier Tuesday when officers responded to a report of a domestic disturbance nearby only to find no one at home.

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I will never understand why she felt the need to not only kill herself but 3 innocent children?  And the 10 year old witnessed it all as well?

I am sure she was depressed or some kind of mental illness, I just still do not understand killing your kids with you.  And to drown on top of that, that is just horrible. 

Aamy
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Ugh makes me sick. Poor little boy, sure he is alive but look what he has to live with now....his mom and brothers and sister gone......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM

It had to do with the domestic that happened prior.  Doesn't mean she had mental illness of any kind.  It could have been a custody battle. 

LCG83
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM
Sick or not I just can not understand someone who would do such a horrible thing. =[
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BV88
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM
So sad :(

That poor 10 yr old is gonna remember that for the rest of his life. Hopefully he can get the professional help he might need to cope with such a tragedy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oneluckymom22
Very sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kassie1990
It doesn't matter whether she was mental or custody issues. She still selfishly took not only the life of herself but her INNOCENT children as well. I will never understand why people do this crap. It is very sad! :(

Quoting atlmom2:

It had to do with the domestic that happened prior.  Doesn't mean she had mental illness of any kind.  It could have been a custody battle. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I agree, I just don't think it may have been so mental, but after a battle with the ex or the husband.  I don't get it either.  The 10 year old will be able to tell all it seems.  Very sad. 

Quoting Kassie1990:

It doesn't matter whether she was mental or custody issues. She still selfishly took not only the life of herself but her INNOCENT children as well. I will never understand why people do this crap. It is very sad! :(

Quoting atlmom2:

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

momofne
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM

That just so sad.

Kassie1990
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM
IF he can talk about it. It is sad a kid has to live with a choice that wasn't his. I never understand.

Quoting atlmom2:

I agree, I just don't think it may have been so mental, but after a battle with the ex or the husband.  I don't get it either.  The 10 year old will be able to tell all it seems.  Very sad. 

Quoting Kassie1990:

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)