Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Most children lack good nutrition and exercise.

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM
  • 14 Replies

Nearly nine out of 10 parents say they're providing a healthy home environment for their children. In fact, they aren't, a new YMCA survey shows.

Most kids don't come close to getting enough exercise daily and don't eat enough fruits and vegetables: 62% of 1,630 parents with children ages 5 to 10 say their kids eat junk food one to four days a week.

Only 14% of parents say their kids eat at least five fruits and vegetables a day.

These results shed light on the reasons for the childhood obesity epidemic. About a third of children in the USA are overweight, which puts them at higher risk for type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and other health problems.

Even though 89% of parents rate themselves good or excellent in providing a healthy home environment, most say they face serious roadblocks to providing healthy lifestyles for their kids, citing too many competing activities - especially social networks, computer games, TV and cellphones.

Taking a stroll

How often parents with kids, ages 5 to 10, say they go for a walk with their children: *Note: Numbers do not add to 100% due to rounding.

YMCA survey of 1,630 parents

"Parents have really good intentions, but they are busy and have a lot of distractions so sometimes they make the easy choice but not the best choice," says Lynne Vaughan, senior vice president of the YMCA. The group sponsored the survey to celebrate its Healthy Kids Day events Saturday.

Federal guidelines recommend that children get an hour or more of moderate to vigorous aerobic activity a day, but 74% of parents surveyed say their kids do not get that much. Only 16% say their kids are playing outside daily.

Although two-thirds of parents say they make time to play with their children every day, the most frequent leisure activities are sedentary, such as playing card or board games or watching TV.

In fact, 46% say their kids watch TV for at least two hours five or more days a week.

Instead, Vaughan says families should walk, dance or play active games inside. That way, healthy choices become family traditions.

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Michelle on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM
Thankfully we are the minority in this! My family thinks its strange DD eats salad just about everyday for lunch! And when its nice we walk to the park or on the boardwalk and play in the sand. She moves non stop!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schnizzle
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:45 AM

i think wat ppl need 2 start doin is kick thos kids out da house u no like my mama did wen i was little if it wuz a sunny day kids dont need 2 b all up inside wen its a nice day

MIA0223
by Michelle on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Yeah! Thats what my mom did! I got called in the house every 2 hours for more sunscreen and at lunch time! Other than that we were outside!

Quoting Schnizzle:

i think wat ppl need 2 start doin is kick thos kids out da house u no like my mama did wen i was little if it wuz a sunny day kids dont need 2 b all up inside wen its a nice day

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessnjosh87
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Same here!!!! I went out after breakfast and came in at 9 pm to go to bed!!! 

Quoting MIA0223:

Yeah! Thats what my mom did! I got called in the house every 2 hours for more sunscreen and at lunch time! Other than that we were outside!

Quoting Schnizzle:

CafeMom Tickers
Aqua_Jen
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM
Weather permitting, we are outside! We live in northern NY so in the winter its not always possible but we go out when we can. I'm lucky my kid LOVES fruits and veggies too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM

We were outside every day after school when it was nice too.  We didn't have the homework kids come home with today either.  Also we only had 4 channels of tv to watch.  We also had 3 recesses in 1-4th grade and 2 in 5th and 6th grade.  We also learned more in a shorter school year and shorter school day. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:29 PM

My youngest always ate salad at a young age.  My 19 yo won't touch it ever. 

Schnizzle
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM

wen my ds was relly litle he said he wasnt eatin his diner so i said ok and the nex morn wen he woke up he came out 2 the kichen & i fed him his diner from las nite an he was all like wtf lol

kitty8199
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM

My DD will eat healthy.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Do you ever type normal, it is really annoying. 

Quoting Schnizzle:

wen my ds was relly litle he said he wasnt eatin his diner so i said ok and the nex morn wen he woke up he came out 2 the kichen & i fed him his diner from las nite an he was all like wtf lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)